Monday, June 18, 2012

Target Beauty Bag Product Review PART ONE

Hello my loves,

It is finally time to review the products I got in my Target Beauty Bag back in April. I'm an incredibly odd reviewer when it comes to non-makeup products because I'm not sure what to check for so I try and check for everything. Just...bear with me, alright? :)

Simple Cleansing Facial Wipes
I was really quite impressed with these. I'm pretty set in my hair and skincare routine but I'm always happy to try out makeup or makeup removers so this is the product I gravitated towards and used up first. I haven't tried a lot of makeup removing wipes so I don't have a lot to compare it to, but I thought it performed well. It did a good job of removing my face makeup (foundation, blush, etc.) and eyeshadow. So it passed the soap and water test, which is basically all the products that can be removed easily with soap and water without a lot of scrubbing. I didn't use any cream eyeshadows while I was testing this so it might be different with heavier products. I thought it did an OK job with gel and liquid eyeliner. It did take a few swipes and a bit of pressure so I don't think I'd want to use it every day. My main issues are that while it's pretty soft over the face, it's a little too harsh to use around the eyes, and it doesn't break down all of my makeup easily. It can't fully break down waterproof mascara. But for lazy days, I think this product performed admirably and I love the packaging. That white sticker can be peeled back and replaced and stays sticky so you can keep your wipes moist until you're ready to use them.

Nivea Extended Moisture Daily Lotion
I have a lot to say about this one so I'm going to break it up into sections.

Packaging: Obviously this is a mini version so I'm not sure if this is similar to the real packaging but I do not like it. The cap snaps on and off and the opening is very wide and because it's made of a hard plastic it's difficult to control how much you squeeze out... Basically too much comes out at once and makes a bit of a mess.
Consistency/Feel: The lotion is white and has a light, gel-like, milky texture. I tried using it as a hand cream but I don't really love the way it feels. It doesn't make my hands feel moisturized or much softer and it leaves them with a slightly sticky feeling. It's nothing awful and it dries quickly so it's not going to transfer onto whatever you touch but it's just a little odd. I would prefer to use this on my body where it doesn't bother me at all. I did test it on a flaky patch of very dry skin but even with repeated use, it had no effect.
Scent: The best thing I can say about this product is that if you like the scent this will be a nice low cost alternative to all the other scented hand creams and body lotions out there. I cannot for the life of me place the scent in my mind. It reminds me of something my mom used to wear so it has to be Clinique or Estee Lauder or one of those brands. If you smelled that perfume and then smelled this lotion you would put the two of them together immediately. It smells a little like coconut (maybe vanilla?) with something counterbalancing the richness, like a floral. I find the scent pretty in small doses so this doesn't strike me as the kind of lotion you should slather on. I actually can't smell unless my nose is almost touching the skin where I've applied it but it can get pretty strong and even if you can't smell it, someone near you probably could especially if you're touching them or gesturing with your hands when you talk.

L'Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer

I happen to already own this so I didn't use the little sample I got. I think I'll probably end up doing a longer review for this one of these days but for now I will say that I really like this product. I've tried a few highlighters but I was not that impressed with them as a product until I tried this one. I find that most of the highlighters on the market are oddly colored. A lot of them are pink or champagne colored and have a lot of shimmer which is just too much for me, especially with my lifestyle. Also, they seem to be very thick, either heavy cream formulas or like heavy moisturizers and just sit oddly on my skin looking very obvious. The reason I like L'Oreal Magic Lumi is because it works and creates a nice subtle effect. It is white and has a very light lotion kind of consistency. It's definitely more of a liquid product. You only need a very small amount of it to do your whole face. I like to use it on the tops of my cheekbones and then use anything left on my temples and down my nose. When it first comes out of the bottle it will look very shimmery but when you blend it in you don't see the shimmer and instead you get that nice lit from within look.

No comments:

Post a Comment