Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask REVIEW

Hi chickadees,

I received a deluxe sample 1.0 oz of this Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Deep Conditioning Hair Mask in my January 2014 ipsy glam bag. This product is normally sold in a 5.25 ounce container for $26. I know it almost always takes me forever to review things but this time I have a relatively good excuse as I only started using this product in April after getting a haircut. I have no explanation for why I waited four months to start using this product. Anyway, enough vamping, on to the review!

Overview: I won't be purchasing a full-size container of this product. It's on the expensive side for me as I don't invest that much in hair care and I just didn't get dramatic enough results to justify the price or the hassle of integrating it into my routine. I find the scent to be pleasant. It's mild in the way that milk and honey and oatmeal scents are and you can smell it as you're applying it. It's a bright scent that isn't sharp or aggressive like citrus or mint. Because of the scent, I enjoyed using it but I didn't feel like it made a real difference in the condition of my hair. I wouldn't dissuade you from trying it out as it didn't damage my hair but it didn't do anything for me.


I had my hair cut in the middle of April. My fine hair is relatively healthy with some shine but it's a bit drier than normal and I have issues with scalp itch and dryness. In total, I got 12 uses out of the 1.0 oz sample of this hair mask.

The first time I washed my hair after my haircut I integrated this product into my routine. I washed my hair with Head and Shoulders shampoo, rinsed it out, and then applied maybe half a teaspoon of the Briogeo Hair Mask. This would be a good time to mention I'm not fantastic at estimating amounts or comparative sizes. I concentrated most of product right at the scalp and at the ends of my hair but I worked it throughout my hair. I left the mask on for five minutes before rinsing it out. My hair was still a little tangled which doesn't happen with my regular conditioner as my hair doesn't get that tangled to begin with. Afterwards my hair looked frizzy and still rather dry. The day after my scalp was already starting to become greasy and to itch again and my hair appeared limp and lacking in volume.

Three days later I washed my hair with Head and Shoulders shampoo, rinsed it out, and then followed up with a Garnier shampoo. After the second round of shampoo I massaged a good amount of the Briogeo Hair Mask into my hair but avoided putting any around my roots to try and avoid weighing my hair down. I left the mask on for three minutes and then rinsed it out. Afterwards my hair again seemed to look the same. It was perhaps not as frizzy as it was the first time I used this product.
After another three days, I used this product again, first washing my hair twice with Head and Shoulders shampoo and then concentrating the Briogeo hair mask at the ends of my hair.

After 3 days, I again used this product when I washed my hair.

I took a break from using this product for 10 days to see if I would notice a difference between when I used it in place of my conditioner and when I didn't. I didn't notice a difference. When I did finally resume using this product I tried using a very liberal amount. It gave my hair a very smooth feel when wet and I did think my hair looked shiny and healthy when it dried but not dramatically different.

Three days later, I again washed my hair twice with Head and Shoulders shampoo and then used a liberal amount of the Briogeo hair mask, combing it through with my fingers and avoiding the top of my head around my roots. I waited five minutes before rinsing out the mask.

Three days later, I followed the same routine. I still didn't feel like the Briogeo hair mask was making that much of a difference in the texture and condition of my hair.

Two days later, I washed my hair with Head and Shoulders just once and then used the Briogeo mask all over my head. I don't think this made a difference.

I used this product on two separate dates (which I forgot to write down) and left it in my hair for five minutes before rinsing it out.

I then stopped using this product from the end of May to the beginning of July. Having not used the product for a month, I didn't notice a drastic change in the condition of my hair. It had the same amount of softness and shine that I think it had when I started. My hair has the shine of healthy hair but it's not shampoo commercial worthy and doesn't have the shine that it might if I knew how to use styling products. It's not straw-like but it is dry and somewhat coarse in spite of being thin and fine. I did feel like my scalp wasn't as itchy as it was in the winter but that could be due to a change in the weather and also just the use of any hair mask as I rinse out my regular Garnier conditioner pretty quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment