Tuesday, April 8, 2014

REVIEW of Ginger + Liz Colour Collection Polish in Tuck Me In

Hello darlings,

That's right. You're darlings today. If you haven't been able to tell, you're usually darlings when I'm in a good mood. And I'm in a great mood. I attended a fantastic concert this weekend which reaffirmed my love of Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals. What? You thought I went to a rock concert? Have you forgotten whose blog you're reading? Anyway, I picked up this Ginger + Liz Colour Collection polish during a Ricky's sale a few months back and it felt like the perfect color to pair with my outfit so that's what I did. By the way, the name of this polish is Tuck Me In. You might not know that if you just tried examining the bottle to locate the polish's name. It is printed in teeny tiny letter near the barcode. I do not understand why some brands insist on hiding the name of the polish like this. It is ridiculous and frustrating.

Color: Ginger + Liz Tuck Me In is a metallic silver polish. Now here's where it gets tricky. I wouldn't necessarily call this a shimmer, a chrome, or a foil polish. Metallic shades like this don't really look like shimmers. This polish doesn't look smooth enough to be a chrome. Yet it also doesn't look rough and gritty enough to be a foil. I guess it's somewhere in between a chrome and a foil. Regardless, like other metallic shades, it functions well as a neutral shade and should complement a wide range of colors as a piece of gold or silver jewelry would. I find it a little less blinding than Zoya Trixie but I can do a comparison if you want me to in order to verify that.
Formula: This polish has a thinner, fluid formula though it did thicken a bit towards the end of my manicure. I would describe it as painting with liquid metal. It isn't very sheer like a lot of thinner formulas tend to be but it was very easy to work with.
Application: This Ginger + Liz polish had a wider brush, more like an OPI brush than a Sally Hansen brush, which initially made me a little nervous, but it didn't seem to affect application. The first coat of polish went on very smoothly. As I said, it made me feel like I was painting with liquid metal. The only issue was that the brushstrokes were very visible and for some reason on my thumbnail there were these three small dots. I'm not sure if they were bubbles or grit that was part of the polish. I've included a photo below. As for the second coat, application was still smooth without any drag. You do want to be careful to a clean job though because of those visible brushstrokes. If you don't paint in straight lines, you will be able to see that in your finished manicure. I feel like if you were in a terrible rush you might be able to get away with two coats of polish even though this polish fails a light test at two coats. Application is just so even. I of course ended up applying three coats of polish to achieve full opacity. On my right hand, three coats were necessary as for some reason the polish appeared more sheer at two coats.
Wear: I wore this polish for five days. I usually do my manicures at night so on the third night that I checked this polish it was already showing signs of tip wear. It was very minimal but notable because usually my polish wears away evenly but this time the polish at the tips of my nails appeared slightly chipped. Also, I got a paper cut the day I did my manicure so I was constantly switching out band aids on that finger. After two days of that abuse, the polish on that nail either peeled or chipped off and I had to redo that nail. I've included a photo below.

CONCLUSION: I don't think wear with this polish is fantastic, especially for those of you who do more potentially manicure-damaging things with your hands than I do. However, this polish is very beautiful and easy to apply so even with the visible brushstrokes and not so great wear time, I would still highly recommend it.
And because I love you so much, I made you a present. 
SWATCHES











What are those three dots?
What are those three dots?
This is the nail where the polish either chipped or peeled off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment