Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Korres Sample Sale Report August 2016

Hello my darlings,

I know I've been gone for awhile. If you're not a longtime reader and aren't interested, skip this first paragraph. This isn't really the post to talk about it but I will try to write something soon. To catch you up a little... I'm still here. I've been here. I have some ideas for what I want to write and future projects but I just haven't had the time to devote to it for the past few months. As far as sample sales go, I haven't been going to as many of them as theatre has become a bigger part of my life. There are only so many places I can run around to in the same day. I'm going to get back into hauls and review posts but sample sale reports will probably stay infrequent. I am thinking about theatre reviews but I have yet to decide if that's going to be happening here or on another blog. This is a weird time to be jumping back into sample sale reports as this summer cold is trying to murder me but I was going to check out this sale anyway and unlike the MAC sample sale (haul coming!) I thought I could actually manage to cover it since I didn't have to wait outside for hours to do so. Anyway, after all of that preamble, here are the details...

I was going to check out the first day of the sale but, as I mentioned in the intro paragraph, I'm not feeling too great. I went to the first Korres sale (which I don't think I reported on for the blog) but I've been too busy to go to subsequent sales and it's not a brand I follow very closely. I mainly know about their products from the items I picked up at their first sale.

The 530 Broadway sale space is right on the corner. I was expecting an office building so I breezed right past it but it's actually a pop up storefront on the ground floor. There is a coat check near the front door but it doesn't seem mandatory and in this weather, I don't think anyone has extra layers unless it's a raincoat. The register is a little past the coat check on the left hand side. They take both cash and credit. I asked and they said they are anticipating on some kind of restocking (maybe different items, maybe more of the same) but they can't commit to anything. Based on the print out price signs and the longer run of the sale, I would expect some markdowns as well towards the last few days but if there's something you want and you're willing to pay what it's currently marked, I would grab it now instead of waiting.
 Checkout desk in the right corner

OK, on to the good stuff. Prices and products. First I'll do a bit of rambling based on the photos. You can find a full price and product list at the end of this post. In this first photo you can see the honey syrup, mini body butter, and Japanese Rose Butter Whip. One thing I really appreciated is that almost all of the products (excluding a few like the eye pencils) have testers out so you can get a sense of the scent, consistency, and color. This is especially helpful since a lot of Korres products tend to be heavily fragranced.


This photo includes the Holiday Fruits shower gel set which is a relatively inexpensive way of trying out a couple of different scents if you're interested in Korres shower gels. All the non-makeup sets are listed below in the Gift Sets section. You may notice some duplicates in the photos. I didn't take photos of all the displays but your eyes are not deceiving you. If you attend the sale you may for example see the same exact body butter (same scent, same size) in two different locations. It's not haunting you. That's just how they decided to display the items.

Here are some of the lip products. Sadly, they didn't have any real lipsticks but from left to right you can see the butter glosses, lip coolers, and lip butters. A lot of the lip and eye products came in sets but you can also buy the lip coolers individually. Some of the packaging is functional but a lot of it is quite cute if you'd like to do some early shopping for stocking stuffers or back to school care packages.

You can see the lip gloss/nail polish set and "twist lipstick trio" in this photo. The colors in the set were too light for me. As for the trio, they're not lipsticks. They're chunky lip crayons. I'm trying to downsize but if you like the Clinique Chubby Sticks or the Revlon Balm Stains, you might want to check these out. As it's Korres, I'd expect that these aren't super pigmented. From my experience, their makeup tends to be on the more natural side. There are no MAC Rebel lipsticks here.
On the left, you can see the Greek Yoghurt travel set. The four products are a little small. I'd classify them as similar to deluxe samples. But it would be a nice way to try out the products to see if you're allergic to the ingredients and see how effective they are. And it's always nice to have travel sizes if you are going to be taking a trip instead of heading over to MUJI or Sally Beauty and spending all your time depotting your skincare into travel size containers. You can see more of the same shower gels and mini body butters in this photo as well.

These are two similar sets. One is Greek Yoghurt based and the other is Rose scented. I was hoping to find the Wild Rose 24 Hour Moisturizing and Brightening Cream but they don't have it. The scent of these products is a little strong for me. I would definitely recommend utilizing the testers if they're out. As with most sample sales, there are no returns so you want to be sure about your purchases.
These are the twist eye shadow trios. I love these kinds of products. They make getting ready so much easier if you don't have the time for doing your eye makeup. I just have so many of them and I don't really wear colors like this anymore.
This is pretty much the nail polish display. I thought about getting the top and base coats to try but I've never found any top coat I like (or that works) as well as Seche Vite. Let me know if you want to see a review and I might go back and get it. I have tried two of their polishes before (reviews coming) and I thought they applied pretty well. They were on the thinner side so I opted for the brighter pink/red set again because I didn't know if the darker cremes would look good. I'm not a big fan of jellies. If I get a creme, I expect it to look like a creme.
You can see repeats of the same rose and greek yoghurt duo sets as well as some more body butters and foundations. More on the foundations later. 
Body butters and shower gels
 Body butters and shower gels
Here's a closer view of the Greek Yoghurt travel set. Yes, it's another repeat display.
These are the makeup removing wipes. I didn't know that Korres made these. Personally, I don't like scented makeup wipes because I'm sensitive to fragrance. But if you're comparing these to the Simple wipes which also come in packs of 25, $7.50 is a pretty reasonable price for a set of two packs.
Quercetin & Oak Antiageing and Antiwrinkle Eye Cream
OK, here we have the concealer, foundation, and eye makeup remover. Color selection is listed with prices at the very end of this post. The makeup products don't go very far past the lightest shades. The makeup remover is fairly priced if you compare it to higher end brands like MAC or Koh Gen Do. You could definitely do better with drugstore cleansers though. Aside from effectiveness, I think the main selling point and drawback is the strong scent. Again, when I'm taking off my makeup, I personally don't want to be adding on fragrance.
Here are the eyeliner pencils. They're small and thin but not miniature. If you think of them as individual liners, I don't think you're getting much bang for your buck but they make for a pretty good set if you like to change things up on a regular basis.

These are the individually packaged lip coolers and more of the same makeup wipes. I think the lip coolers could be great stocking stuffers or extras for birthday presents though I've given up on most lip glosses that aren't made by Lancome.

Closer view of the concealers/foundations


Here are more of the lip gloss/nail polish sets and Grape Deep Exfolating Scrub. It's pretty strongly scented as well but if you like the product, $5 is a pretty good price. I mean, it's not as good as my normal Queen Helene scrub which is more product for less but for a nondrugstore product, it's excellent.

I hope some of that was helpful. I feel like I've been out of the game for a while and my paired down routine and this cold made me a little extra snarky today. But if you like Korres or you're just looking for some new products to try out, I think this is a sale that's definitely worth checking out. I didn't find the things I was looking for but now that you know what's available and how much it'll cost you, you can decide for yourself if you want to make the trip. I will try to check back in to see if there are any new products or reduced prices around Friday or Saturday if I have the time.

Happy shopping!
Cat

EYES
$11 Quercetin & Oak Concealer- 1 Fair, 2 Light, 4 Tan
$14.50 Jasmine Eye Makeup Remover (set of 2; 200ml each)
$19.50 Quercetin & Oak Antiageing and Antiwrinkle Eye Cream (15 ml)
$20 Natural Beauty Volcanic Minerals Twist Eye Shadow Trio- Ivory, Golden Bronze, Olive Green
$20 Volcanic Minerals Twist Eyeshadow Trio (.049 oz each) - 68 Golden Pink, 33 Gray Brown, 98 Metallic Black
$24.50 Eyeliner Pencil 6 Pack (0.04 oz each) - 6 Metallic Gray, 10 Blue Black, 3 Metallic Brown, 14 Golden, 1 Black, 5 Olive Green

LIPS
$5 Greek Yoghurt Lip Coolers- Plain, Peach, Raspberry, Strawberry
$6 Lip Butter- Mango
$12 Lip Butter Gloss Trio- Peach, Natural, Pink
$15 Twist Lipstick Trio- Charm, Grace, Delight

FACE
$5 Grape Deep Exfoliating Scrub (50 ml)
$7.50 Milk Proteins Cleaning and Makeup Removing Wipes (set of 2; 25 wipes per pack)
$19.50 Antiageing Foundation (27 ml)- 00 Porcelain, 20 Golden Beige, 25 Tan 

BODY 
$5 Mulberry Vanilla Body Butter (50 ml)
$7.50 Bergamot Pear Hand Cream (75 ml)
$8.50 Mint Tea Body Scrub (150 ml)
$10.50 Basil Lemon Body Scrub (150 ml)
$10 Mint Tea Shower Gel (400 ml)
$10 Vanilla Guava Shower Gel (400 ml)
$12.50 Japanese Rose Body Butter Whip (set of 2; 235 ml each)

NAILS 
$6 Nail Color Base Coat
$6 Nail Color Top Coat
$12 City Style Nail Polish Trio- Midnight Blue, Dark Red, Coral Red
$12 Nail Polish Trio- Watermelon, Pomegranate, Cyclamen

GIFT SETS
$7.50 Polish and Shine Set- Korres Collection Cherry Lip Gloss, 41 Peach Cream Nail Polish
$14.50 Greek Yoghurt Travel Set (20ml each)- Foaming Cream Cleanser, Nourishing Moisturizer, Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Facial, Cooling Gel For Face and Body
$15 Holiday Fruits Limited Edition Shower Gel Collection- Papaya Mango, White Grape, Basil Lemon, Guava
$22.50 Wild Rose Head to Toe Collection- Wild Rose Advanced Brightening Sleeping Facial (40 ml), Japanese Rose Body Butter (235 ml)
Greek Yoghurt Head to Toe Hydration Collection- Greek Yoghurt Advanced Nourishing Sleeping Facial (40 ml), Yoghurt Body Butter (235 ml)

OTHER
$5 Honey and Herbal Supplement Syrup (200 ml)

No comments:

Post a Comment