Wednesday, June 26, 2013

REVIEW of Essie Mint Candy Apple With SWATCHES

Hello chickadees!


I enjoyed my vacation (more or less) but it's very good to be back home. One might even say, it's refreshing. And so I've decided to review Essie's Mint Candy Apple, the polish I wore at the beginning of my trip. But though it's a refreshing minty shade of blue-green, it was rather disappointing in other ways. Let's break it down, shall we?

Color: Essie Mint Candy Apple is a bright minty blue creme polish. It's a bit too bright to be a straight pastel but it's not bright enough to be a true bright or a neon. I wish I'd been home to take these swatches so the polish would appear a little brighter but this is what you get when you go to Germany at the tail end of a storm.
Formula: Terrible. I've chosen this color on one of the few occasions that I've gone to a nail salon and I noticed how thick the formula was but I thought it might have just been the bottle they had at the salon. It wasn't.
Application: The first coat was a little streaky but that's not out of the ordinary for a color like this or really most creme polishes. The second coat was still a little streaky and there was a bit of bubbling. In three coats, the polish was opaque. After I've applied a layer of top coat (Seche Vite) the polish still looked pretty bad. I've certainly dealt with worse polishes but there was no disguising the bad formula and application with top coat. Overlapping uneven brushstrokes were very apparent. And the thickness of the polish was definitely noticeable.
Wear: Obviously, I was irritated with the way this polish looked. But even worse, 2-3 days into wearing this polish it started chipping. For those of you who are new to this blog, my polish almost never chips. I could count the number of times my polish has chipped on one hand. And I'd never expect it of such a popular Essie polish.

CONCLUSION: No, I would not recommend this polish. I do like the color but there are plenty of dupes and similar shades and the terrible formula and application and easy chipping makes it impossible for me to recommend this polish.
 
SWATCHES


You can see the overlapping brushstrokes and the uneven application better in this picture. 
Chipping (it was worse in person but I couldn't find a good angle to photograph it)

No comments:

Post a Comment