Saturday, July 23, 2011

Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner REVIEW

I am still very much in the process of figuring out how to do my makeup. It's something that seems like it should be simple, especially being a bit artistic, but it isn't. It takes practice and a lot of trial and error. One of my struggles has been eyeliner, which can really add some polish to a look or put all your hard work to waste and leave you looking like a mess.

My first attempt was with a pencil liner...L'Oreal Paris Infallible Nevel Fail Eyeliner in Black. With a ridiculously long (and redundant) name like that, it had to work, right? No. Despite all of its numerous fans, this line was hard to apply, went on gray and smudgy even with multiple coats, and slowly fell apart as I wore it through the day. It's still in my makeup kit and I'll eventually have to use it up. I think it would cause the least trouble in a dark, smoky eye for a night out because of how imprecise it is and how well it smudges.

Now, to my review. I LOVE Maybelline's Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner in Blackest Black. And none of the words in that sentence are redundant.

Lasting: It lasts me through the whole day without smudging or creasing. My days range from venturing out for a few hours to 9am-5pm and either way, my eyeliner stays perfect.

Drama: I've realized I'm not one for a thick line and this applies as thin or thick as you want (with a little help from my homemade makeup remover to get a perfectly smooth line). It goes on dark yet still subtle, and going over it once or twice you can amp up the drama for, well, blackest black.

Gel Eyeliner: I did not think I would like a gel eyeliner. Obviously, I was wrong. I've tried other pencil and liquid liners over the years applying my makeup for plays, weddings, etc. They've always just been so difficult to use, get perfect, and then remove at the end of the night once they've given me all that trouble. Maybelline's gel eyeliner goes on smooth like a liquid with the control of a pencil. LOVE. There's a very thin brush that is packaged with your eyeliner and although I know there are many makeup brushes out there specifically for eyeliner, I would save your money and use the one that comes with the pot of gel eyeliner. It's the perfect size and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't know how it'll hold up until I've used up my eyeliner but I wash it with each use and it seems to be keeping its texture and its bristles.

I am very happy with this product. It's going to become a permanent part of my makeup collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment