Thursday, January 8, 2015

REVIEW of Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Eye Shadow in Rio de Rose Gold

Hello peanuts,

Usually it takes me forever to review products. The exception is when I know that I don't like something and sadly that's the case with this review today. I don't have that much to say about Josie Maran's Coconut Watercolor Eye Shadow in Rio de Rose Gold. I picked it up during the big November VIB 20% off sale and didn't get around to testing it until very recently. I tried it once or twice and came to the conclusion that it's just not for me.

The first time I tried it out I actually tried a simple makeup look. I applied Urban Decay's primer potion as my base. I then blended a matte brown shadow into my crease and then dabbed Rio de Rose Gold onto my lid with the doe foot applicator and blended it out with my fingertips. Blending out the watercolor shadow that way makes it appear a lot like a shimmer eyeshadow which is of course is more wearable but also makes this product less special. And when you're paying $18 for a little bottle of liquid shadow you want it to be special. Blended out, the color appears to be a orange-tinged gold. It's just not very flattering on me. It reminds me of a lot of the brown shadows I have with a bit of a reddish undertone. Applied this way, the watercolor shadow doesn't crease but I have a lot of folds on my eyelids and I thought the product made that more apparent.

The second time I tried this product I tried out two different techniques. On one eye, I applied the product straight from the bottle with the doe foot applicator without blending it at all. On the other eye, I did the same thing but I used less product and blended out the edges. You can get a strong color payoff either way but obviously you'll get more of an impact if you don't blend the shadow and that was the look I was going for when I purchased this product. However, because I have so many folds on my lids, the product doesn't crease but there are clear gaps when I close my eyes (thus stretching the skin of my eyelids) so the product appears to have creased. One of the biggest selling points for me about this product is that it dries completely without feeling heavy. You can get the pigmentation of a cream or pencil without that tight or heavy feeling and without worrying about the product moving around or smudging.

If you have smoother lids than I do without as many folds, you might like this product. If you have a light complexion and enjoy wearing warmer eye shadow shades this might be perfect for you. If you have a darker complexion and can basically pull off anything, I think this product would look lovely. I'm not sure about how strong the pigment will be if you've blended it out by applying it straight from the bottle without any blending I think you should get a strong color payoff.

CONCLUSION: The color is not flattering on me and it would never work with my particular eyes. I wouldn't recommend this for someone older but if you have the right complexion to pull it off and smooth lids without folds or wrinkles, this might still work for you. If you want a big impact, I'd recommend applying the product, waiting for it to dry and then layering other shadows into the crease or however else you'd want to put your look together. Personally, I think blending out the shadow is a waste of the product because it then looks like any other shimmer shadow.
SWATCHES


dim sunlight
shade
bright sunlight
Sorry about my brows. I didn't have time to get them cleaned up before taking these photos. This is the shadow not blended out.


This is the shadow blended out on my other eye.


Doe foot applicator


No comments:

Post a Comment