Friday, February 21, 2014

REVIEW of Zoya Tomoko With SWATCHES

Hello darlings,
 
I have another gorgeous textured polish to share with you today. Zoya Tomoko was released as a part of the Zoya Fall 2013 Pixiedust collection. The Pixiedust line is Zoya's take on the textured polish trend. In general, I've found that the Pixiedust polishes have a finer grit and texture than the OPI polishes and other textured polish lines but there is some variation within the line. Let's get into what makes Tomoko a little different from the others.

Color: Zoya Tomoko is a light gold textured polish. Well, actually it's somewhere between silver and a very pale gold. Sometimes it looks like a pure pale silver. Sometimes it looks like a pale gold. And sometimes it looks like a slightly darker gold. I know. I'm being so helpful. Personally I prefer the silver as cool tones work better with my skintone but regardless of what state this polish is in you're going to have a pretty metallic textured polish. With top coat Tomoko appears slightly darker and more sparkly. Unlike other textured polishes, Tomoko is already glittery and sparkly without top coat but the gloss of the top coat makes it blinding. With or without top coat, it definitely pulls a lot of focus so it's probably not work appropriate but on the positive side as a light metallic shade it will go with so many outfits and it's a great shade for a date night or another special occasion.
Formula: This polish has a thicker formula.
Application: First of all, I should note that I again used two layers of glue as my base coat. The first coat two coats of polish went on very smoothly. This polish was so sparkly that it felt like painting with liquid glitter. I did have to even out the polish with the brush because of the thicker formula but it wasn't a big issue. The most important tip I have is to not wrap the tips of your nails and keep the polish away from that edge so it doesn't become rough. At two coats the polish wasn't opaque so I added a third coat. The polish seemed to be a little thicker when I was applying this coat. I had to work harder to even it out though it still wasn't a major issue. My other tip would be to not put too much polish on the brush so you don't have to work as hard to even out the polish. At three coats this polish was still nowhere near opaque but I don't like to go past three coats unless it's necessary so I left it.
Wear: This polish seemed to take quite a while to dry. I didn't feel very secure about it without top coat until the next day. It just had that feel of not being completely dry. Once it had dried, the texture felt quite rough and abrasive. The other Pixiedust polishes did not feel this abrasive. I don't think it's dangerous. If you were to accidentally brush the surface of your nails roughly over your skin, it wouldn't brake the surface of your skin but it might scratch a bit.
Now, this section speaks to the success/failure of the glue as base coat method and not this particular polish. I applied this polish on February 14 very early in the morning. It was more like the night of February 13th. By 6:00pm on February 15th, the polish on the index finger of my right hand had popped clean off while I was in the bath. This was actually on a nail that I had applied top coat to. On February 16th by 5:00pm (but probably earlier) the polish on the thumbnail and middle nail of my right hand had popped clean off as well. I'm not sure when it happened. I ended up taking all of the remaining polish off on the 17th. It all came off cleanly.

CONCLUSION: The sheerness of this polish annoyed me but it ended up looking so gorgeous in spite of it that I have to recommend this polish. Application isn't perfect but it's pretty good for a thicker formula. You do have to even out the polish a bit but I don't expect that you'll run into any complications.

Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you would like to help support this site, please consider making your next purchase at amazon.com through the links on my page.
SWATCHES

Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Textured (No Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)
Glossy/Shine (Top Coat)

No comments:

Post a Comment