Saturday, August 13, 2011

La Roche-Posay Moisturizer and Sunscreen REVIEW



Let me preface my opinions (Really? Yes, really. I promise I'm not stalling...) by saying that I haven't used a lot of moisturizers or sunscreens on my face before I started doing so on a regular basis about a year or two ago now. You're young, and if you're like me, you're inside most of the time reading/studying anyway so sun exposure, especially couched in language focused on anti-aging and health benefits is not going to grab your attention. But I am spending more time walking out in the sun and I am getting more concerned about taking care of my skin so I did start using moisturizer and sunscreen. I just wanted to let you know that I may not be an expert on this since I don't have much to compare it to.

I chose La Roche-Posay products because of easy accessibility (Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc.), price (around $25-$30), SPF (stabilized with avobenzone and high SPF), and quality. I am aware that parabens are listed among the ingredients but they are low in the list of ingredients so I don't think the concentration is high enough to be of concern since I don't use a lot of this product. Besides, there are just so many things in this world that might kill you...it's far too stressful to nitpick every little thing. Maybe someday I will be more concerned, it's just not today.

La Roche-Posay SPF 15 Anthelios SX Daily Moisturizing Cream with Sunscreen Daily Use Moisturizer UVA/UVB protection (3.4oz)

I really love this moisturizer. It's a rich cream but it's not too thick and gloppy. The product comes out of the tube smooth and silky and is easy to apply. I used to use my hands but now I use a makeup sponge to save time washing my hands constantly as I apply my makeup for the day. The moisturizer is an opaque, white cream but if you just massage it into your skin it will just blend into your skin and settle in a nice sheer layer. This keeps my skin soft and hydrated. I would love to have time to apply this every morning but sometimes I'm in a rush to do everything and remember all the rest. In that case, I usually try and apply it at least one day a week or if my skin is looking especially dry, I make sure to swipe some on. I have had no problems with this, no problems applying it, no allergic reactions, it doesn't wear off during the day or melt. My one issues is immediately after application my face is very shiny and hydrated. It just takes a little while for it to dry but sometimes you don't have a little while. You may have to apply makeup to your face before it has dried or if you're skipping makeup, you may have to leave the house still looking a little shiny. That is all. Otherwise, I'll probably keep buying this unless something better comes along.







La Roche-Posay SPF 60 Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Lotion (1.7 fl oz.)

The texture and appearance of this sunscreen is very similar to the moisturizer. One is a tiny bit easier to blend in than the other but there's not a huge difference. This is intended to really be a full body sunscreen but I am paranoid about sun exposure now and I have been told by magazines to look for a product with SPF 50 or higher and I have listened. Neutrogena has some sunscreens that are more affordable and that have even higher SPF's but after a certain point, raising the level of SPF product has less of an effect proportionally and also I find the Neutrogena sunscreen I tried a little thicker and harder to blend naturally. You really have to work the product into your skin and check that there are no white blotches of unblended sunscreen on your face. Anyway, I apply this every day under my makeup and again, I have had no issues with it. It's harder to sense if a sunscreen is working (you pretty much need to do tests or take special photographs to get quantifiable results) but I feel like it is and for the quality, I think the price is fairly good. I just picked up the liquid form instead of my usual sunscreen because I'm running low so I'll let you know how that goes.





Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment