Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Johnson's Baby Shampoo as Eye Makeup Remover

Disclaimer: I am not an expert on this subject. I am just sharing my experiences with you.

So, I am not used to wearing a lot of makeup. I just started using a gel eyeliner though (see review) and I needed something to remove it either in the morning to perfect my lines or at the end of the day when I remove all of my makeup. There are many debates online between highend brands and drugstore brands and homemade remedies. I used to use a high-end brand but that was only because my mom had a leftover bottle and I was wearing A LOT of makeup for high school theater. So for my first foray into eye makeup removers I wanted the simplest, cheapest option. I was in the drugstore, holding a bottle of some basic eye makeup remover around $7-$10 for a small/medium bottle in one hand, and a jumbo size bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo for around $5-6, which was at least 25% bigger and a gel as opposed to a diluted liquid, in the other hand. What was a girl to do?

Obviously, from the title of this post, I took home the baby shampoo. I washed out a clean small size bottle of Poland Spring and added the baby shampoo in about a 1:10 or 1:8 ratio with water. I shook it a few times and I had my new makeup remover.

So how does it work? Well, I haven't had any problems with it so far. I use the pointed Q-tips I use for cleaning up the edges of my nails for perfecting my eyeliner (though it's gotten to the point where it's not always necessary to fix it). The homemade makeup remover will take off a stray smudge pretty easily but will spread around a darker line. That is, if I try to adjust a line I've gone over with the gel eyeliner 2-3 times which has dried, it will spread the color where I swipe the Q-tip kind of like diluting a watercolor instead of just lifting the pigment. This is simple to fix. Just work in small swipes and turn the Q-tip so the area is always being touched with the clean side of the Q-tip. When it comes to removing my makeup at the end of the day, I take a regular Q-tip and swipe it around my eye, careful to avoid the seam. When you wash your face, the rest of the makeup should come right off. Full disclosure, when I have gotten too much of it in my eye, it does sting a little. But then, I think if you're putting any makeup remover IN your eye, it probably won't be too pleasant. Because this is baby shampoo it only stings for a second or two after you rinse your eye with a splash of cold water. My skin is fine. Just as soft but not tender. No redness. No irritation.

Doctor's opinion: I consulted the doctor in the family who recommended against using this as an eye makeup remover if you're not careful. If you find that it's going IN your eye more often than not, you should probably stick to another drugstore, highend, or homemade alternative. This also goes for any soap not specifically labeled as safe for eyes, etc.

I am going to keep using this for a while, since the bulk of my extra cash goes into clothes or makeup. If I do make a change, I'll be sure to let you know. :)

UPDATE: I currently use MAC Cleanse Off to take off my eye makeup.

1 comment:

  1. The blog was absolutely fantastic! Lot of great information which can be helpful in some or the other way. Keep updating the blog, looking forward for more contents...Great job, keep it up..
    Johnsons baby shampoo

    ReplyDelete