Friday, August 19, 2011

Things I Am Currently Obsessed With

I haven't done one of these in a while for a couple of reasons, I just finished classes (only to start again soon...ugh), I have not been scouring the internet for new obsessions as much lately, and I have been finding a multitude of things to occupy my time. Including struggling to get my Essie polishes under control enough to paint my nails. Sweet Talker, Lapis of Luxury, and Turquoise & Caicos all fell apart on me a few days ago, watery and terrible. And yet I'm still excited for their fall handbag-inspired collection. I'm ridiculous, I know.

These are not real "obsessions" but more categories of obsessions since again, I haven't had much time to focus on specific things.

Handbags. I have no real fondness for handbags, or shoes for that matter. Yes, I'm betraying my gender and fashionistas everywhere. They're just something I like but don't need. Anyway, apparently I'm not good with mine (or likely I fill them with too much junk) because the two I've been switching between this year have kind of fallen apart. I have this adorable leather cross-body bag with a lace print that almost looks like a sun print (there's probably a term for this but I think in terms of art and not leatherworking). I got it in Argentina for a ridiculous $20 but the piece on the side anchoring the strap kept breaking and thus releasing the strap and when I got it repaired they broke the zipper. Grrr. My other bag, my dark brown studded Michael Kors is also fall apart at the strap. The leather is peeling and I don't think it will survive much longer. (Note: I think Kors is a hack who mostly designs rectangles and tube dresses. I got the bag as a gift for a birthday a long while back.)

I am currently toting around a flower-patterned Le Sportsac that I got as a gift for the same birthday (Seriously, giftcards, people) but I need something more fall-appropriate. I cannot afford these but I am lusting after them nevertheless.

http://www.markcross1845.com/collections.htm



So simple and restrained yet I can't stop staring at them. Since I don't really care much if something is designer or not, I will probably just pick up some kind of similar imitation bag in Chinatown (from a store, not off the sidewalk). Not trying to get arrested. :)

Pleated skirt. I don't even know if this style will look good on me but that doesn't stop me from being obsessed with it. I should really just figure out how to make one of my own but...ah...laziness.

http://www.satineboutique.com/shopping/designer-satine/item10102014.aspx


http://www.bcbg.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11863204&cp=4213681.4366394.2769021&view=all&parentPage=family


These are two standouts to me. The Satine because I've been loving asymmetry lately and the BCBGMAXAZRIA because I just love that brand. Some of the cutest and most figure-flattering dresses in my closet come from them.

Juliet Dress. This needs a bit of background. In middle school, as many other middle schoolers do, we read Romeo and Juliet. A sad translation which didn't really do anything for me. Definitely check out the Arden Shakespeare version instead. Anyway, I had to do a scene as Juliet and for this I headed off to H&M where I miraculously found the perfect dress. It was $40 which wouldn't bother me now but back then I was on my parents' budget and didn't have much say in the matter. After my scene, which was brilliant by the way, I reluctantly returned it to the store and it's always going to be one of those returns that I regret. I know by now the dress likely would not fit me and I know that I can barely remember what it looked like and I've probably built it up in my head to be more than it was. But logic and reason don't apply when it comes to a girl and her fashion memories. So ever since then I've been on the lookout for my "Juliet dress".

The most I remember is that it was sheer, black, seemed vaguely historical and looked spectacular on me.

Here are pieces I've come across that remind me of my Juliet dress.

http://www.bcbg.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11768911&cp=4213681.2769162.2768993&view=all&parentPage=family


Too long and too masculine. I think my dress may have been cinched at the waist.

http://www.foleyandcorinna.com/p-940-embroidered-sequin-cover-up.aspx

This is not really very close at all but when I saw this coverup it just brought me right back to obsessing over my dress. Also, it makes me think I could replicate it if I could only remember exactly what it looked like.

Amsale. I don't know where the heck I think I'm going but I recently picked up a gorgeous dress at a ridiculously discounted price $60 and after rummaging around their website I am just fixated on the gorgeous fit, cut, and simplicity of their bridesmaids dresses. It's too much work to edit and post all the gowns I want but their site is pretty easy to navigate.

http://www.amsale.com/bnp/bridesmaids/bridesmaids2.shtml


Eyeshadow. Now that I've perfected my cat eye, just in time for the revamp of the 1960s trend (thanks, fashion) I need to be a little bit brave and risk doing something a little more daring in terms of eye makeup. I've done it in the past and then smudged on a nude cream color to go for a safer, more subtle pop of color. One day I'll try a smoky eye. In the meantime I'm hunting down various eyeshadow colors to play around with.

I think that's all for today. Talk to you soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment