Wednesday, March 27, 2013

REVIEW of Butter London Marrow With SWATCHES

Hello my little osteoblasts,


Today I have yet another purple nail polish for you. I get on one of these kicks where I decide I need a certain color and then I end up with more purple polishes than I know what to do with. I'll be doing a comparison post eventually so you can see how they all stack up. I want to compare Butter London Marrow, Zoya Monica, Zoya Lael, Zoya Neeka, and Essie Carry On as purples can be a little tricky, leaning more red under one lighting condition and more blue under another. This review is for Butter London Marrow, which has the distinction of being used/designed by the team behind Vena Cava. Now, despite my reservations about Butter London polishes (I had a bad experience with Artful Dodger and while Wallis was an improvement, I still needed four coats to get it fully opaque) I was so in love with the swatches I'd seen of this polish that I threw it into my order along with Butter London Wallis. 

Color: Butter London Marrow is a purple creme polish with shimmer. Maybe I've just tried too many purple polishes but this one seemed a little unremarkable. It tends to lean more red under most lighting conditions but it can also lean more blue under other conditions. This polish was a little tricky to photograph which is why I want to do a comparison post with my other purple polishes so you can get a better idea of how this one compares.
Formula: The formula was nice, not too watery and not too thick, it could cling to the brush without immediately sliding off.
Application: The first coat was pretty opaque. I could see where the brushstrokes overlapped but it wasn't noticeably streaky. By the second coat, the polish was opaque (though I did use a thicker second coat to get a smoother application). So, while it wasn't a perfect formula, I do have to give it credit for being opaque in two coats. As faithful followers of this blog know, I'm generally a three coat kind of girl and a polish really has to be opaque in two coats for me to avoid adding that third coat. The shimmer is somewhat hidden. You can really only see it where the light hits the highest curve of the nail. I felt like it was stronger before I applied top coat so that may have played a role in reducing the effect of the shimmer (though I don't know if that's likely).

CONCLUSION: Butter London Marrow isn't an incredibly special color and the shimmer isn't noticeable enough to really differentiate it from a similar purple creme polish. The formula is alright but not spectacular. The biggest selling point is that it's opaque in two coats. I'm not sure if that's worth the bump in price compared to Essie, OPI, and Zoya but if you really like this particular shade of purple or if you find this polish on sale, I feel OK about recommending it with reservations.

Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you would like to help support this site, please consider making your next purchase at amazon.com through the links on my page.

SWATCHES (semi-color accurate)








No comments:

Post a Comment