Sunday, September 1, 2013

REVIEW of Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer in 200 Pink Shock With SWATCHES

Hello my little lightning bolts,
The real shock of Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer in 200 Pink Shock is that it isn't pink. Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's a jelly. Yeah, I was shocked too.

Color: Maybelline Pink Shock is a reddish pink jelly polish. Yes, contrary to what you might believe from my swatches, Pink Shock is in fact a red-leaning pink and not a red orange polish. Is anyone surprised that this one was difficult to photograph? Like Essie Watermelon I think it's very easy to mistake this polish for red. I would say that maybe 5% of the time when I already know that it's supposed to be pink it appears pink to me. This was a disappointment given the bright pink color of the polish in the bottle. The other 95% of the time, I would call this either a bright cherry red or a basic red in dim lighting. Even though this doesn't have the squishy look of some jellies, I did get visible nail line and this appears to be a polish that isn't supposed to be fully opaque. It has a very juicy look like lip gloss or candy.
Formula: The formula is very thin and liquidy.
Application: Application was super smooth. The polish was very easy to work with and application was perfect. It was very easy to get nice, even coats. At two coats the polish wasn't opaque but the coats were perfectly even. It was then that I started to suspect that this polish might be a jelly. Three coats increases the opacity but really there isn't too much of a difference between 2 and 3 coats. As this polish is probably a jelly, you're still going to get visible nail line no matter what you do. Unless you go crazy and paint 4 or 5 coats or put a base color underneath it.
Wear: I wore this polish for 6 days. There was some growth at the cuticles, a tiny bit of tip wear, and one barely noticeable chip at the end of 6 days.

CONCLUSION: I would absolutely recommend this polish. You might be disappointed that it isn't a bright pink but I think if you know what you're going to get, you will be impressed with the formula. I've had some issues with the Maybelline Color Show formula in the past but I thought this one was perfect. I should note that you definitely need top coat as this polish doesn't have a lot of shine on its own.


Now, you're just going to have to use your imagination and pretend that the polish in this photo is a little more red and pink than it really is. 

Most of the swatches I took were this bright orange color or worse. 
I may need a new camera. But then I have two cameras and the second one doesn't seem much better than the first.

You can see the tiny chip I mentioned on my index finger. You barely notice it.

No comments:

Post a Comment