Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sample Sale Report: Elie Tahari October 2011

Note: I showed up around 1pm on a day when it was raining and I had no problem getting in the door without a wait in line. There was a wait behind a few people at the second floor check in but that was because the people working there are ridiculously bad at their jobs. And so over it. More on that later. I had to wait behind one person for the women's dressing "room".
I stepped out for a bit to wait for someone and re-entered around 2:30pm-3pm. There was again no wait at the door to the building but a wait for check-in. The wait for the women's dressing room was longer.

Sorry, darlings, no pictures this time. I had my camera but they were adamant about checking EVERYTHING at the door, bags, jackets, EVERYTHING. I don't carry a wallet because my purse is already very small. Needless to say, it was a hassle to find somewhere to carry my money and I didn't even bother taking anything else out though I ordinarily would have tried to carry my electronics, ID, etc. The promise of controlled chaos was definitely met. The aisles were very tight in the dress section. Basically only two people could just fit in one aisle and there was a lot of pushing. Not out of aggression but out of practicality. I finally made my way to the dressing room with an armful of dresses.

I went for patterns and color but I think in general most of the styles were fairly generic. The necklines were either round and conservative or a deep-V. Most dresses were fitted at the waist and then either A-line or pencil skirted. There was a lot of black, a lot of patterns, and a few striking but conservative shades, classic red lipstick red, royal purple, navy blue, etc. The skirt section was a little disappointing as the amazing fit of the Tahari skirt I purchased a few months back is what motivated me to trek out into the rain. None of the skirts were very appealing. They were mostly black or beige and the cut and fabric weren't anything special. I did find something with an interesting pattern on my second trip but unless they restock, I wouldn't suggest going to look for skirts. The knit section is embarrassing. It's of worse quality than the kind of thin knits you find a TJMaxx. The shoe section was fairly classic. if I wore pointed toe, kitten-heel, slingbacks I would have been in heaven. There were a lot of dress shoes and disappointing casual shoes. I didn't see a lot that was really practical. The bags were awful. Huge and clunky and hideous.

The dressing room wasn't too bad the second time around once I got used to it. Forget modesty, get through it quickly, own your time in front of the mirror, and hang up your things once you've finished trying them on. The main problems were overcrowding, lighting, and mirror time but I wasn't too bothered. One woman was determined to steal one of my dresses, repeatedly asking me if it was mine and eyeing it suspiciously.

Sizing was an issue, as I mainly had to eyeball pieces marked "ALL SIZE". I did pretty well. Out of maybe 15 items I only had one that was far too tight and one that drowned me in fabric. Men's sizes are kind of ridiculous. While I was there they only had size 50 and up in stock.

The service at the sale was terrible. I'm sure they just hired attractive temps. Everyone seemed like they couldn't be bothered to do their minimum wage jobs while at the same time they managed to be breathtakingly condescending and rude. The check in and check out was absolutely ridiculous. Three people spent 10 minutes looking for 1 umbrella.

Despite all that, I did walk away with pieces I'm very happy with at a slightly more wallet-friendly $305.

Leather dress:




No comments:

Post a Comment