Monday, May 5, 2014

REVIEW of Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Rockin' Robin With SWATCHES

Hello little birdies!


I've got a fun one today... It's Rockin' Robin from Deborah Lippmann. I know, it's yet another Deborah Lippmann polish. I also picked this one up in the beautybrands.com sale. This is actually the polish that inspired that purchase as I've been lemming it for a while now. Still, I always told myself I didn't need it and I could get a similar look from another brand or by mixing polishes but then it went on sale and all my arguments flew out the window. Isn't that the way these things always go?

Color: Deborah Lippmann Rockin' Robin is a light blue creme polish with dark blue glitter particles. There isn't much more to say than that. The creme base is not as light as some pastel or baby blues but it's still light enough to not be a medium toned or cornflower kind of blue. As you can see from the photos, it has a bit too much green to be a true blue. The glitter can appear so dark that it's black, but it's more of a dark navy blue. Of course, the lower layers of glitter are less prominent because they are partially concealed by the top layer of the creme polish base.
Formula: I would say that this polish has a thinner formula. It's not excessively thin or watery. It's just not that thick in consistency and it is a bit sheer.
Application: The first coat went on smoothly. It didn't apply evenly, I think in large part because the polish is a little sheer. It's sheer for a creme polish but not ridiculously sheer like a jelly or some nude polishes. I was worried at how much glitter was being applied with the first coat but that didn't prove to be a problem. The second coat also went on smoothly without any drag but the polish still appeared sheer and a little patchy. There was no drag on the third coat either. I did have to even out the polish a bit with the brush but I didn't encounter any issues with that. At three coats, the polish is still a little sheer when you do a light test, holding your hand up to a light source to test the opacity by seeing if light passes through your nails. Application was pretty much the same painting with my nondominant hand. I had to even out the polish a bit but it went on smoothly without any drag.
Wear: I did not use glue as my base coat for this polish because I've been having some bad luck with that lately and I didn't want the polish to peel off before I was ready to take it off. After five full days of wear, I didn't see any real wear at the tips of my nails. Really, there was just growth at the nail bed and a little bit of peeling on one nail after I took a bath on the day before I removed the polish. As for removal, I used my Zoya remove+ which is what I always use for glitter polishes or otherwise stubborn polishes. The creme base came off with almost no effort while the glitter stayed on. My method of removal was scrubbing at the glitter with cotton pads and Q-tips soaked in Zoya remove+. I did not pick at the glitter at all but I did have to exert some pressure. It wasn't the most fun polish to remove but I would say it was doable. It certainly wasn't as bad as trying to remove stubborn hex glitter. However, two of my nails did get a little scratched up on the surface so I'd proceed with caution. If I wear this polish again, I'll try the glue as base coat method.

CONCLUSION: Yes, I would recommend this polish. It is a little on the sheer side and thus a bit patchy but application is smooth and easy and I just love the look of it. I think the color will be flattering for a lot of people and it's a glitter polish with depth that's almost more like nail art.


Cat is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you would like to help support this site, please consider making your next purchase at amazon.com through the links on my page. I will get a small percentage of anything you purchase through one of my links at no extra cost to you.

SWATCHES








I decided to include a photo of just one coat of Rockin' Robin so you could get a better idea of the sheerness, the amount of glitter, and what I meant when I said the polish didn't apply evenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment