Saturday, August 25, 2012

REVIEW of Sinful Colors Nail Enamel in Firefly

Hello chickadees!

I'm so excited. The new charger for my camera battery came in mail today. As far as I can tell it works, so hopefully I can start writing posts a little more frequently again. This review, however, is one with swatches I've been saving for a while.

Like the other Sinful Colors polishes I've purchased, I bought Firefly because I wanted to see if I liked the color before springing for a similar shade from a more expensive brand. Also, sometimes you're just in the mood to buy some nail polish.

Color: Firefly is a warm yellow polish with a hint of shimmer. The shimmer is more or less apparent depending on the lighting, but in the right lighting it has that lovely effect of glowing from the inside. It provides a nice pop of color on the nails but it isn't super bright. On short nails, it almost gives your nails the look of little corn kernels (more on that later). Indoors, it can become a cooler yellow but it's always a pretty basic color, primary yellow instead of anything really fancy. I thought it would look terrible on me because of the yellow undertones in my skin. It looked better than I expected it to but I still think yellow isn't my color.

Application: It took 3 coats of polish to get it opaque, and 4 coats on the ring finger. I found the paint job smoother than some of the other Sinful Colors polishes I've tried in the past. It was certainly better than Sinful Colors Cinderella. But I still experienced some balding, patchiness, and uneveness. I found that it did help to use thicker coats of polish. When I did my right hand (painting with my useless left hand) late at night, I made kind of a mess of it with a LOT of balding and bubbles. So, my warning is that with this polish you really need to concentrate on doing a good job and having a steady hand. Also, it may help to work in bright light. This is probably not a good polish for newbies or anyone who struggles doing their own nails with good brands like Essie or OPI.

CONCLUSION: I can't recommend the polish based on the formula. Personally, I'm not a fan of yellow polish, but if you like the swatches, I'd say go ahead and give it a try. I actually would consider repurchasing this if/when I run out because it looks fine and I can't see myself paying more for a yellow polish when I don't love the color on me. But for people who really want a good polish, I don't think you'll be happy with this.

LOTS OF SWATCHES









With the backdrop of green leaves tell me my nails don't look like corn kernels.












No comments:

Post a Comment