Tuesday, October 1, 2013

REVIEW of Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots Nail Lacquer in 95 Blue Marks the Spot With SWATCHES

Hello my little buccaneers,


I know I've been quiet for a little while. I'm still here. I was just testing products instead of writing reviews. Even though I only use a polish once before reviewing it, I like to be thorough when it comes to reviewing lip products and makeup and skincare so I'm holding off on the reviews until I feel like I can give you my complete and honest opinion. Anyway, today I'm bringing you a very thorough review of Maybelline Color Show Polka Dots Nail Lacquer in 95 Blue Marks the Spot. Whew! That's quite a mouthful, isn't it? I knew this polish would be a little sheer from the swatches I've seen online so I wanted to see how it would look with different bases so you could get an idea of how you'd like to wear this polish. The results were less than stellar.

Color: Maybelline Blue Marks the Spot is a very sheer medium blue polish with black and white confetti. The polish contains both black and white hex confetti and small black and white speckles. I think the color is pretty enough though I was bothered by how sheer the polish was. I'll go into it further in the application section. I do like the way it looks a bit like a jelly sandwich with the top pieces of confetti standing out while the bottom layers appear submerged in the polish.
Formula: Being very sheer, the polish was rather thin though it did start to thicken as I was almost finished with the application and the glitter occasionally clumped up.
Application: OK, this is about to get complicated. On my left hand I used three different bases. On my pinky and middle fingers I used one coat of my regular Milani Smoothe Base Coat. On my ring finger and my pointer finger I used a thick coat of Elmer's glue. On my thumb I used my Milani base coat topped with one coat of OPI Samoan Sand. I used four coats of polish in my misguided attempt to get to full opacity. The first coat applied a decent amount of confetti but almost no color. It was if I just applied a sheer top coat with a light blue tint. Application of the first coat was smooth. The application of the second coat was also smooth though I could see where the brushstrokes overlapped. I applied a bit more confetti than I wanted to with this coat as I couldn't control the glitter placement at all. my thumb with the added coat of OPI Samoan Sand was a bit more opaque than the other nails but the polish was still very sheer. The third coat also applied smoothly but there was so much confetti! I tried my best to smooth out the confetti into 1 layer instead of letting it clump up. By the fourth coat, application was still smooth but the glitter was getting very thick. At four coats the polish was nowhere near opaque but coverage was pretty even. I wouldn't even call this a jelly. It's just a very sheer polish.

Now, with my right hand I tried different tricks to get to fully opacity. On my pinky and ring fingers I applied one coat of my Milani Smoothe Base Coat followed by two coats of Zoya Purity so I would have a white base. On my pointer and middle fingers I applied one coat of my Milani Smoothe Base Coat followed by two coats of OPI Samoan Sand so I would have a nude base. On my thumb, I applied one coat of my Milani Smoothe Base Coat followed by two coats of Essie Mesmerize so I would have a dark blue base. This was a terrible idea as all of these nails didn't look nearly as good as the hand with the sheer polish. Application was smooth for the first two coats. The polish was still very sheer but now I had the additional issue of trying to cover up the base color. With the third coat, I noticed that the polish seemed to be getting thicker. The polish was threading a little. That is, when I pulled the brush out of the bottle, a thread of polish stuck to the brush. It wasn't threading that badly as the threads were short and broke quickly but it was definitely threading. Since I had applied so much confetti (not having any control over this polish) to my thumb, I only applied two coats of the polish. Application was still smooth on the fourth coat but the polish was thick and threading as with the fourth coat. It doesn't appear so bad in the photos below but with all of the nails, the base color is very obvious. If you have to use this polish, I would recommend just using base coat or Elmer's glue.
Wear: I only wore this polish for two days because it looked so horrible and I had somewhere to be. As for removal, the polish came off easily. It was the confetti that was the issue. I had to pick at it a little but the polish on the nails with the Elmer's glue as a base came off pretty easily. I would recommend using a glue base coat as it looks the same as using a regular base coat and removal is much easier.

CONCLUSION: I would not recommend this polish based on the difficult application and sheerness. However, if you're determined to have it because you like the look and the price, I would use Elmer's glue as a base coat to save yourself the trouble of removing this polish with polish remover.
SWATCHES (So many photos...)

Left Hand Key (left to right): Milani/OPI Samoan Sand, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Milani/OPI Samoan Sand, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Milani/OPI Samoan Sand, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Milani/OPI Samoan Sand, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Milani/OPI Samoan Sand, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Left Hand Key (left to right): Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
You can sort of see how sheer the polish is in this picture but it was much worse in person.
This nail gives you a better idea of how sheer the polish was. 
Left Hand Key (left to right): Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Indoor lighting
 Left Hand Key (left to right): Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat, Elmer's Glue, Milani Base Coat
Indoor lighting
Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Right Hand Key (left to right): Milani Base Coat/Zoya Purity, Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Right Hand Key (left to right)Milani Base Coat/Zoya Purity, Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Right Hand Key (left to right)Milani Base Coat/Zoya Purity, Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Right Hand Key (left to right)Milani Base Coat/Zoya Purity, Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Right Hand Key (left to right)Milani Base Coat/Zoya Purity, Milani Base Coat/OPI Samoan Sand
Milani Base Coat/Essie Mesmerize
I didn't take more photos of this finger as the polish didn't photograph accurately. Basically, it looked like a milky light blue top coat very obviously sitting on top of a dark blue base.

No comments:

Post a Comment