Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Anna Sui Sample Sale November 2011

Alright, alright, I went! I honestly have no willpower. When every day is made up of thousands of little decisions sometimes you end up saying "why the heck not?" when you should be going home to write a lab report. Anyway...the sale is brilliant if you like T-shirts and massive savings. This Anna Sui sale is located at 250 W. 39th St. (bet. 7th & 8th Ave.) on the 6th Floor of a posh office building and is going on until Friday. Mizhattan has more details.

The size of the showroom is average. It isn't huge like Elie Tahari or the size of someone's bedroom like Dannijo. I would say that it feels like a showroom, the size of a midrange appartment or office. There is a small area where you first come in for a coat and bag check. They will let you keep your small purses (it doesn't have to be a clutch) which I am so grateful for. There are tables along the back wall by the entrance for checkout. The clothes in that area tend to run a little more expensive.

I headed right for the T-shirts as I really don't need too many more dresses and the style of the blouses doesn't appeal to me. The T-shirts are in brown cardboard boxes labeled $10 though when I got to the checkout they were down to $8 which made me very happy as I picked up 3 of them. I run about a size 4-6 and I fit best in the mediums so if you aren't interested in trying them on that should be a good reference for the sizes, though smalls ran very small and larges were not that much larger than mediums. The clothes are mostly for petite and thin women...and apparently Asian girls because they made up the majority of the bargain hunters who flooded the sale about 15 minutes after they opened again at 4pm. The T-shirt prints aren't too varied. Once you've been digging around for a while I think you'll see all of the 8 or so variations, unless the restock later in the week. I was trying to find more of the softer cotton shirts but I mostly found regular cotton T-shirts in white, black, red, or purple. The designs are pretty adorable so I'd recommend using this as a prime gift-shopping oppportunity if the people on your list fit into smaller sizes.








There was one box of belts. They were all identical and not impressive. Skipping ahead...

The dresses and blouses were not that impressive in terms of style or material for the price. Maybe they got cleaned out yesterday or they are holding onto the better stock. Most dresses average around $100 on the label (though prices seemed to have dropped from yesterday) and were in chiffons or cottons. The girl in the changing room beside me managed to find a dress that looked gorgeous on her but I would never be able to pull it off. In cases like this, you really need to find something special to make it worth the price.

I skipped over the pants. They seemed average.

I did not see many jackets.

The skirts occupied one rack. I would have hunted more had I known they had dropped to $25 and not the $35 on the labels but the sizing was odd regardless. Some samples ran large, others were small. I ended up leaving with a gorgeous skirt I need to take in a bit so it will sit at my waist and not low on my hips. There were a few plainer designs but the ones that really shine are the gorgeous prints. It would be very easy to find something special in this section...and where else are you going to get a quality skirt for $25? It is absolutely necessary to try these on though, as the fit is not standard.

(This picture is not color-accurate)



This is the height to which I want to take in the skirt.

The dressing room is just a walled off area to the side near the T-shirts. Two girls were stationed by the entrance. There is one real mirror propped up on a folding chair and two metal dress racks to hang possible purchases and your actual garments. There were also a few folding chairs for the same purpose. There was not a lot of privacy or opportunities to dawdle in front of the mirror but when I left everyone was still being very polite and there didn't seem to be too much of a crush. It was a relatively calm experience on the whole.

To recap, at this point T-shirts are $8, skirts are $25, the inventory is good and the staff (at the coat check, dressing room, AND checkout) are friendly. I would definitely recommend checking out this sale if you have the time.




No comments:

Post a Comment