Thursday, November 10, 2011

Noir Jewelry Sample Sale November 2011


This sale is going on until Friday so I would suggest running to it as soon as you can. What are you doing reading this? Go NOW. Yes, clearly I had a much better experience than at yesterday's Dannijo sale. The sale is going on at 350 W 38th St between 8th and 9th Ave on the 5th floor of a sketchy looking building that is just an elevator. I'm not entirely sure how it works but I suppose they might not have a ground floor accessible from the street. Anyway, being the metal door, up the elevator, past the bag check is an apartment-sized room with plastic bins full of all the shiny, glittery accessories a girl could want.


There are a few handbags along the walls, bracelets and belts are mostly along the windows, and earrings and rings are scattered throughout from the bins on the tables to the containers along the wall. I would skip the bracelets which are pretty much mainly stackable rhinestone bangles and large metal cuffs. The jewelry placed near the door is a bit more expensive than the rest of it so save the display for last unless you know you want something in particular that might be more expensive. No, head straight for the plastic bins on the tables. There are sizes marked on the bins and in the individual plastic baggies but within the bins some of the sizes don't seem consistent so I would just try all the rings on.


The rings are an interesting mishmash of styles. There are some huge glass cocktail rings. I would personally skip those but then I am mostly dressing for work and school. There are also some great spiky metal pieces and pave rings but again, they are very large and with the sharp points they could get annoying to wear throughout the day without causing injury to yourself or others. However, if I were planning a fashion editorial I would definitely have scooped them up. For me, the real prize here are the glittery rhinestone pieces. I picked up the most adorable looking bumblebee ring for a steal at $15. I think most rings range about $15-$25.


The earrings are again, a grab bag. There were some very large, clunky pieces that felt like Forever21 items. There were also some delicate little dagger earrings at the very low price of $10. I picked up one pair in gold and one in pewter. There were also a lot of larger sword earrings in a different set of bins along the back wall. I personally gravitate towards smaller items because the heavy ones drag down my ear lobes but there are lot of interesting pieces to choose from. I think most earrings were in the $10-$25 range. Oh, and before I forget to mention it, there are some really pretty hoop earrings. I'm not sure how to describe them, but they're jagged, as if you laid a bunch of little pyramids in a row.


I wouldn't really bother with the belts. There were a lot of rhinestones which came off as a little showgirl and I'm not sure a jewelry company is the best source for leather goods. I barely glanced at the handbags for the same reason but I did walk away with a very cute $5 painted purse which maybe looks like it cost $20 but I'm happy wth it.


The sale takes place from 10am to 7pm. I went towards the end around 3pm-4pm or so and still found a great selection without too much of a crowd. I asked though and apparently it was hectic just before I came. Also, they don't have plans to restock unless a big shipment happens to come in so I would go sooner rather than later as prices don't seem likely to drop. Also, there was a pretty steady stream of girls wandering in the whole time I was there so I would go before the best things are taken because they're going pretty quickly.







No comments:

Post a Comment