Sunday, January 13, 2013

REVIEW of Revlon Emerald City With SWATCHES

Hi chickadees!
Since Pantone has declared Emerald at the color of 2013, I thought there would be no better time to swatch and review Revlon's Emerald City for you. I've had this polish for a little while now. I bought it when I was mad for Zoya Veruschka and couldn't find it anywhere. To be honest, I'm still kind of mad for Veruschka but Emerald City has appeased my craving for the time being.

Color: Obviously, when a polish is called Emerald City, your instinct is to write "Emerald City is an emerald green polish" and call it a day. And yet I hesitate as the color on my nails doesn't perfectly channel what's on the Pantone website. Nor does it really remind me of the Oz of 1939. So I will simply say that Emerald City is a deep green matte polish with little flecks of lighter green glitter. In certain lighting it almost looks like there's a bit of black in there as well. Even in dim lighting the glitter makes the polish a little more special when it catches the light. In bright lighting it gives what could be a flat polish a lot of depth. I didn't think I was going to like the finish as much as I do but it feels very chic. It reminds me of the colored leather dresses that have been popular on the runways recently though my nails feel more like paper than leather. I also tried this polish with top coat, which of course makes the color more vibrant and makes the shimmer come alive. It's very sparkly. But I can honestly say I like this polish both matte and shiny.
Formula: The formula is on the thinner side which actually makes the polish pretty easy to work with.
Application: Application was surprisingly smooth. I've been disappointed with Revlon polishes in the past but maybe they need to make more matte polishes if this is the result. I needed 3 coats for opacity. Because it is a matte polish you have to work a bit quickly but I still had a decent amount of time to event out the polish.
Wear: I've heard that matte polishes are only supposed to last 2 or 3 days before they start to chip (due to the lack of top coat) so I purposely wore this polish 3 days to test it out. On the second day I noticed very minimal tip wear but no chipping. Though I should note that my polish never chips and the worst damage I've ever gotten is bad tip wear.
Conclusion: I would definitely recommend this polish. I'm not sure about long term wear but application was easy and the color is gorgeous. I don't think they sell this in stores anymore so try and track down a bottle on amazon (like I did).
SWATCHES

Matte


With top coat


Matte. See the shimmer?


1 comment:

  1. what a gorgeous shade! emerald is so in since its "shade of the year" haha very pretty :D

    My Blog: Caught in a Daze.

    ReplyDelete