Tuesday, December 4, 2012

REVIEW of Maybelline Color Show Polish in Green With Envy WITH SWATCHES

Hi chickadees!


Every so often I get into this mood where I just want to file my nails super short. It usually happens after I've been lazy for the past few weeks and switching out my polish without bothering to file my nails so they end up impractically long. Anyway, I was looking at my ridiculously large nail polish collection (too large for a little apartment anyway...It's now split up into 4 boxes) and trying to decide what I wanted to paint on my new short nails that would also be seasonally appropriate. But dark polish on short nails? Sorry, I just don't get it. I wore black nail polish through a lot of middle school/high school and I kept my nails long. And I didn't want to go for a glitter or shimmer polish either. Enter in, Maybelline Color Show Nail Lacquer in Green With Envy. I bought this polish a while back (I think it might have been in the summer) but I haven't found the right time to try it out. Well, the time has apparently come. What did I think?

Color: Maybelline's Green With Envy is a mint green pastel creme polish. I think it is definitely more green than Essie's Mint Candy Apple. The color is very pretty but personally, I'm not sure if it's the color or simply because it's a pastel, but it has this tendency of looking very sickly on my nails. It kind of depends on the lighting and whether my hands look dry. Also it can bring out a lot of redness.
Formula: I was paying very close attention to the formula and application since this is the first Maybelline polish I've tried. I thought the formula was alright. It was thinner rather than thicker but it wasn't watery or runny at all.
Application: The polish glides smooth onto the nails but I find that the brush is a little streaky and makes even application somewhat difficult. The polish was pretty opaque, especially for a lighter color but I still needed 3 coats to get it to pass the light test, and also to even out the surface of the nail. The brush is very thin. For some reason, I can do one brush stroke and get a nice, even coat, but when I paint the other half of the nail, the second brush stroke creates ridges in the polish and it's hard to even the two out. This happens regardless if I start with the left half of the nail or the right half. I feel like I should also note that I used Sally Hansen Insta-Dri as my top coat instead of Seche Vite. I don't think it made a major difference in my swatches but it's possible it might have.

CONCLUSION: Overall, I liked this polish. I wasn't tremendously impressed with it but I think it performed well for a pastel creme polish. This is probably one of the better polishes I've tried in this light blue/mint/aqua color family. If you're looking to try one of these polishes, I would recommend giving Maybelline Green With Envy a shot. Although you're getting less product, you are paying less and it's a good way to test if you like the color with a decent formula.

SWATCHES









No comments:

Post a Comment