Saturday, November 22, 2014

REVIEW of L'Oreal Nail Color in 138 The Statement Piece

Hello knockouts,


I know it's a big shocker whenever I leave the house but I had somewhere special to be recently so I decided to bust out a special polish. A statement polish. That's right. You clicked on this review. You know I'm talking about L'Oreal's The Statement Piece. And this polish does make a statement. Perhaps you're thinking, Cat, you already have so many gold and silver polishes and even textured gold and silver polishes. Well, I'm pretty sure The Statement Piece is unique in my collection, but if you'd like me to do a comparison post just leave a request in the comments.

Color: L'Oreal The Statement Piece is a pale, cool-toned gold textured polish containing pale gold glitter. It's not hex glitter and it's not microglitter. It's just regular small, round glitter. Sometimes I think it looks more like silver than gold but it's not silver enough to clash with the gold if that's what you're thinking. The polish itself can sometimes veer towards champagne but in bright direct sunlight and at night it's definitely a gold polish. Worn as a textured polish without top coat I find that it makes a statement without being too flashy. Because it's a pale gold and not super sparkly that tempers the textured effect and the glitter. If you're going to wear something like this it's a way of doing it that doesn't look cheap or juvenile. This polish was pinging my recognition centers so I checked my Pinterest board. It reminds me a little of OPI Honey Ryder and Zoya Tomoko but it's a dupe for neither. Even when it's first applied, The Statement Piece doesn't have the craggy roughness of OPI Liquid Sand textured polish. It's just slightly rough while still definitely being a textured polish. The other polish I thought of was Maybelline Gold's Night Out but The Statement Piece isn't nearly as flashy and arresting. I can always do a comparison of the polishes so you can get a better idea of what you'd prefer. Just leave a request in the comments.
Formula: The formula is a little bit thick.
Application: I used three coats of Elmer's glue as my base coat which is my standard practice with glitter polishes for easier removal. The first two coats of polish went on super smoothly. Even though the formula is on the thicker side, I think because the glitter is small and the polish base isn't too gritty, the polish applies smoothly instead of being gloopy and thick. At two coats the polish was still a little sheer so I added a third coat. I think you can definitely see the improvement in opacity between the second and third coat though the polish was still not opaque at three coats under a light test.
Wear: I applied this polish at night on November 7th and removed it a night on November 13th. Six days! With a glitter polish using glue as base coat? That's crazy for me. I don't know. I found this polish oddly wearable and I didn't want to take it off. When I did remove the polish I had a little bit of tip wear but no chipping. The signs of wear were major growth at the cuticle and gaps at the sides of my nails. I think that might be due to the glue as base coat as that kind of gap doesn't happen with cremes. This polish did not peel off cleanly. I don't know if that was because I had it on too long or if it was the polish itself. I tried to peel at the edges but I ended up mainly applying pressure with my nails and pushing the polish off my nails. It did come off cleanly if in pieces. Most of my nails were not damaged but the surface of a few nails seemed a little scraped.

CONCLUSION: I would recommend this polish. It is a little sheer but it looks beautiful on the nail and applies smoothly without any issues. This is a perfect polish for a night out when you want to make a statement without making a nuisance of yourself and calling too much attention to your nails.
If you're planning on shopping on amazon this Black Friday or anytime during the holiday season, please consider starting your shopping trip through one of my amazon links. It really helps me out. You don't have to purchase what's featured in the ad. As long as you start from one of the links on my page I will get a small percentage of the revenue at no extra cost to you. 
SWATCHES


(I think I forgot to do swatches of this polish with top coat.)








No comments:

Post a Comment