Saturday, November 22, 2014

REVIEW of Jordana Nail Polish in 651 Foiled in Pink

Hello peanuts,
By the way, it's aluminum. Have I just alienated my entire international audience? Come back! I want to tell you about my first Jordana nail polish. I feel like it's been forever since I was testing Essie polishes on a regular basis. I just don't go to the drugstore that often anymore and besides, the recent collections haven't done much for me. I'm much more likely to be placing an order at some big beauty retailer online and tossing a bunch of discounted polishes into my cart... which is how I got this Jordana polish in Foiled in Pink. I placed an order at Cherry Culture back in mid-September during their 40% off sale. It took 20 days for it to get to me but that's a topic for another post. If you'd like to check out my entire haul click here. As with you Essie, OPI, and Zoya polishes, you get 15 ml of polish but unlike those brands the retail cost of a bottle of Jordana Nail Polish is only $1.99. I paid 99 cents because of the 40% off deal.

Color: Foiled in Pink is a pale pink pearl polish. In the past I've called polishes like this frosts or shimmers but I think I've been trying enough of these polishes that they can have their own separate category. The polish doesn't have the perfect mother of pearl finish veering towards opalescence but it does have the flatter pearl finish of say plastic pearl beads. It also glows in a beautiful way, particularly in the first few days or wear almost like a metallic polish. This polish is really good at capturing and reflecting light. I think I would like it better if it were a little more pink but it's very pretty and puts me mind of ballerinas and just a very sweet, girly aesthetic. It doesn't clash too badly with my skintone but I think it'll flatter others more than it flatters me.
Formula: The formula is thin but not watery.
Application: The first coat applied very smoothly without any drag. The brushstrokes were visible even on the first coat so I would be careful about making sure all your brushstrokes are pointed in the same direction to get the best results. The second coat also went on smoothly. At two coats the polish failed a light test and was not totally even under a light test. However, if you wanted to wear it a little sheerer with VNL you could leave it at two coats. I'm not a big fan of sheer polishes so I added a third coat. At three coats the polish still fails a light test because it can't block the light but I think the slight improvement on opacity and more importantly the improvement on the evenness of the polish makes it worth applying the third coat. I don't have much to comment on about the difference between Jordana and other brands but I did like the brush. It was soft and easy to work with.
Wear: The first day I wore this polish, maybe in the morning and certainly by the afternoon the polish on my right thumb was badly scuffed. It wasn't that the polish was damaged while it was wet or that it got dented while it was drying. When I say scuff it looks more like someone keyed a car. Part of the top layer of polish was scratched off. I wore this polish for six days mainly because I couldn't find time to remove it. In spite of the scuff from the first day, when I removed the polish there was almost no tip wear and just growth at the cuticles.

CONCLUSION: I would recommend this polish. It won't be for everyone, particularly those who won't wear a polish that isn't fully opaque and hate visible brushstrokes. But if you like frosty shimmers and girly pinks, this one applies really nicely and unexplained damage aside, it holds up well. I was impressed with the quality of this polish given the price. I may add more Jordana polishes to my collection in the future.

SWATCHES













No comments:

Post a Comment