Tuesday, June 19, 2012

L'Occitane Pivoine Delicate Lipstick in 03 Charmant Coral REVIEW

Hi chickadees!

L'Occitane and I have a weird relationship. I am incredibly attracted to their products and their vibe but I find that a lot of their products let me down and as lovely as the packaging and promises are, a lot of times they don't deliver. I used to use their lipglosses and shea butter products back in the day but they never did much for me. Then I moved on to a scent (which is sitting in my clothes drawer unused) and the hand creams (which I love). I don't know. I walked into the store one day and just thought it was time to put their cosmetics to the test since that's my primary area of expertise at the moment.

I finally decided on L'Occitane's Pivoine Delicate Lipstick in 03 Charmant Coral (or Charming Coral...I also used to practice my French by reading the packaging). The website currently only has two of the other colors but they may update it or you may be able to find some in stores. http://usa.loccitane.com/make-up,82,1,29270,0.htm

You get 3.5g of product for $16. The packaging says that "This lipstick enhances lips with a veil of coral-pink color and golden reflections. The rich texture, delicately perfumed and enriched with softening peony extract, gives an instant feeling of comfort and leaves lips feeling light and smooth. Dermatologically tested."

Color: The description of "a veil of coral-pink color" was apt as this lipstick is very sheer. I swatched the other colors in the store and left with this one because it was the most flattering and the most vibrant. To me, that makes this more of a tinted lip balm than a lipstick. If you want a dramatic color payoff, this is not the right product for you. It brightens your lips for what is arguably a "my lips but better" color. There's a hint of shimmer depending on how many layers you apply. I'd caution against too many in an attempt to build up the color because A) you won't build up the color and B) you'll end up with a ton of shimmer. If you like a natural lip color with a tiny hint of shimmer, Charmant Coral might be for you. If you want a straight up coral, you're going to be disappointed.
Scent: I had a big patch of peonies growing outside my house as a child so I know what they smell like. If you strain very hard, this might remind you of peonies but to me it smells more like old-fashioned makeup products. It's sort of like floral Play-Doh. It's not a very strong, offputting scent though like some of the Revlon lipsticks. After I've applied it, I can't really smell it anymore. If you are extremely sensitive to scents though, I might caution against this one.
Taste: Slight taste. Similar to the scent. Artificial.
Formula/Wear: I feel like this section is going to sound very contradictory. When you first apply it, you can achieve a smooth glide across the lips but it's kind of slow. I wouldn't stay that it drags as badly as a lip pencil, but it's not as smooth as say, Covergirl's Natureluxe glossbalms or a lipgloss. To me, it doesn't feel moisturizing or drying. But as it fades, the color remains but the texture changes to something that looks drying and a little unflattering.
Packaging: The packaging is cute if you like that sort of thing but it really doesn't feel secure. It's never opened up in my purse before but I get the feeling that it could.

CONCLUSION: I guess I'm OK with this product but I wouldn't recommend it. The color is natural and dupeable. The scent is a little fake and old lady-ish. And overall, it's not very moisturizing or particularly comfortable to wear. If, however, you truly feel the need to own this, I wouldn't dissuade you. There's nothing about this product that makes me hate it. It's just not special.

SWATCHES


For reference, lips without product.
Lips with L'Occitane's Charmant Coral lipstick

Lips with L'Occitane's Charmant Coral lipstick

PACKAGING


Ingredients






No comments:

Post a Comment