Tuesday, June 26, 2012

REVIEW of Zoya Dovima with SWATCHES

Hello chickadees!


As much as I have some compulsive collecting and organizing tendencies, my world is fairly disordered and illogical. As such, I decide to paint my nails black at the start of summer. That, and I was obsessing over Zoya's Dovima for quite a while before picking it up in a big Zoya haul during a previous promotion. All in all, I was a teensy bit disappointed but I still liked the polish. Enough of my vagueness. Let's get into the specifics.

Finish: Dovima is one of Zoya's matte nail polishes. With a glossy top coat like Seche Vite you can transform it into a creme polish with microglitter.

Color: I'd say Dovima is more of an off-black nail polish. To me, a black nail polish is the kind of deep, glossy color I used to wear on my talon-like nails back in high school. Whether in its matte or nonmatte form, Dovima doesn't read to me as a true black. It has very fine microglitter but that doesn't come across when it is matte and only occasionally comes across with a shiny top coat. Basically, I only saw it in direct sunlight and with the really bright lighting in my bathroom. The color did bring out the yellow and red undertones in my skin in certain lighting so that might be something to watch out for as well.

Application: Dovima was fairly easy to work with. As a matte polish, it dried pretty quickly and it was easy to tell when it was dry because of the matte finish. I didn't really experience this with Loredana (the other Zoya matte polish I tried) but it seemed like it was drying so quickly that I didn't always have time to work with the polish to even it out before it had dried. I think painting thin coats with an even hand, you should be fine. The polish glided on nice and smoothly. It just wasn't always even because of where the brushstrokes overlapped. However, I will note that when you put on a glossy top coat you don't see any of those imperfections. It evens out perfectly.

Wear: I kept Dovima on for a couple of days. Generally, I don't have a problem with getting polishes to last. Usually my nails will grow out in 1-2 weeks and that's why I'll remove the polish. I think there have only been 2 polishes I've ever used where I've had wear at the tips. Sometimes the polishes will pick up smudges very easily. My problem with Dovima was different. I wore it for the majority of the time with Seche Vite as a top coat and noticed one day that either looked like paint or a stain or a scuff mark. I haven't been painting for months so I'm guessing paint came off of something I touched or it was a scuff mark. Anyway, it didn't wash off and I couldn't scratch it off and I could have fixed it with another layer of polish but I didn't want to just cover it up. I just thought I'd let you know in case it was a scuff mark in which case this might not be the best polish for anyone who works with their hands a lot.

Availability: Last time I checked, I couldn't find it on the zoya website but I know there are some sellers on amazon.

SWATCHES
MATTE FINISH




GLOSSY FINISH WITH TOP COAT
Sorry about the piece of lint.





No comments:

Post a Comment