Friday, July 13, 2012

REVIEW of Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color in 908 Graphite Gravity with SWATCHES

Hello chickadees!

DISCLAIMER: Time for another review from my Influenster 2012 Summer Beauty Voxbox. Just so we're clear, unlike the majority of the products on this blog which I purchased with my own money, I was sent this product to review. However, that's not going to change what I have to say about it. My opinion cannot be swayed. Especially when it comes to bad nail polish. Fortunately, that's not a problem with the Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color in 908 Graphite Gravity that I was sent to try.
Pricing: The card that came with my Influenster Voxbox says that this product retails for $9.99. Now, I have no idea what that actually means as at least here in NYC everything at the drugstore seems to be a little more expensive than elsewhere. But taking that as the standard price makes Graphite Gravity more expensive than the top drugstore brands, Essie and OPI which go for about $8 but still less expensive than your highend/overpriced brands like Butter London, Chanel, and Dior. Personally, I'm OK with the price because I think it's better to buy something you love if it costs a little more vs. a product you don't love that's not going make you as happy but will save $2. And with the Sally Hansen, you're also paying for the magnet. Let's breakdown the specifics though.

 Brand
 Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color
 OPI Nail Lacquer
 Essie Nail Polish
 Price
 $9.99
 around $8
 $8
 Amount of Product
 9.17 mL/0.31fl oz
 15mL/0.5 fl oz
 15 mL/0.5 fl oz
 Cost per mL
 $1.09
 around $0.53
 $0.53


Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color: $9.99 (Color: 908 Graphite Gravity)What the card says... NEW! Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color is summer's hottest nail trend that allows you to create a gorgeous nail art effect in just seconds! This unique formula was specially developed with metallic particles -just hold the built-in magnet over wet polish to reveal a unique design on the nail.
Now, to get onto the actual review. I kind of love this polish. I tried it out and got a bit frustrated at first until I perfected my technique. Once you have that down, this product is a dream to apply. Now, their instructions are to apply a base coat and then one coat of polish. Then they want you to apply a thick coat of polish and immediately hold the magnet over the nail for 10 seconds. Because of all my trial and error, I know that you can paint more than one coat to cover the nail and you'll still be able to paint that final thick coat and get the desired effect with the magnet. The MOST important thing though is to do as they say and IMMEDIATELY hold the magnet over the nail for that final coat. My first few attempts I wasted time screwing the top of the bottle back on. Don't do that. Put the brush back in the bottle and then IMMEDIATELY hold the magnet over the nail for ten seconds. I didn't have any trouble with my nail hitting the magnet except with my thumb but that was my fault. I wasn't really paying close enough attention.

Color: I hate to say it but with the magnetic effect, this color is made up of shades of gray. Not fifty, though. More like three. There's a medium-tone metallic gray base and magnetic creates bands of a darker graphite gray and a lighter silvery/chrome gray. The polish photographed a little darker in the photos below.
Formula: This polish is opaque in 2 coats so if you wanted to follow their exact instructions you could. My swatches use a few more coats because I was practicing but the polish won't look any different or more opaque if you add more coats after the second. I would say its a metallic polish but the color is muted so it shouldn't be too overwhelming for people who prefer slightly more conservative nails.
Application: This polish was a dream to apply, right up there with my favorite Essie and OPI polishes. I told you I had a bit of trouble figuring out the magnet at first. Well, the first coat goes on OK but every successive coat just glides on without any effort. I actually think you could wear this on its own without the magnetic effect. Honestly, I have no complaints about application. The only part of the process that bugs me is how quickly you have to grab the magnetic and the fact that you don't know how the magnet will create the design so you can't get specific placement.
CONCLUSION: I would absolutely recommend this product. It's a great drugstore alternative to the more expensive magnetic polishes that other brands have been releasing. It applies like a dream and as long as you grab the magnet as soon as you paint your final coat of polish, the effect is easy to produce. I haven't seen it in stores yet but depending on the color selection, I would consider picking up more bottles of this polish. :)

UPDATE: My one small issue with this polish is that it doesn't wear very well. I know everyone isn't like me and doesn't expect nail polish to last forever but I usually don't have any problems getting my nail polish to last without chipping or scuffing weeks if I want it to if it's a good polish. It's just that my nails grow so fast that I need to switch up my polish or have huge gaps. Anyway, after about 4-5 days this polish isn't looking so great. It's wearing at the tips and there's definite scuffing.

  SWATCHES:







No comments:

Post a Comment