Saturday, July 7, 2012

REVIEW of Wet n' Wild Megalast Salon Nail Color in I Need a Refresh-Mint

Hello my dears,


I've kept this polish in my stash for a while now because as much as I love my Wet n Wild eyeshadows and I love the color of this polish, I've been extremely skeptical about some rave reviews about its application. And, I was kind of right to be nervous. Full disclosure, I don't know how this polish holds up because I only kept it on for about 1.5 days.

Pros
  • The color is gorgeous. I've heard it described as a dupe for China Glaze's For Audrey, which we all know is intended to mimic Tiffany blue. To me it has a bit more green, kind of like Essie's Turquoise and Caicos. Maybe I'll do a comparison one day.
  • Opaque in 3 coats. This is fine for me. I don't need a one coat polish. As long as it doesn't take more than 3 coats for a polish to be opaque, I'm happy.
  • Formula seems alright. It may have been a little thick but I think the biggest problem was the brush and not the polish. I'd have to try with a different brush to say for certain.
  • In direct sunlight this polish works with the yellow undertones in my skin and does not bring out the red in my hands.
  • It's a great color for summer. It's very wearable but it can also look bright and fun. It's a way of making a subtle statement and a good sort of color-blocking shade.
  • Great value. It's near a dupe for other colors of this type for a lot cheaper. It's usually only about $1-$3 if I remember correctly and I picked it up when it was on sale for even less.
Cons
  • The brush is atrocious. The polish has a wide, flat brush which I actually didn't have too much of a problem with. My problem was that I could get at the sides of the nail I would miss in the first brushstroke because you can't go over the last brushstroke while the polish is wet. Why? Because the bristles of the brush are cut roughly and result in a streaky mess.
  • It is impossible to get even coats. There will be streaks on the sides of the nails. The surface of my nails is very smooth. I never do any buffing or sanding and the only time tools other than a nail file approach my hands is when I go to the salon. The uneveness of this polish's application gave me crazy ridges.
  • This isn't a "con" as much as a tip. If you shake up the polish, you will probably get bubbles.
  • During the evening/in artificial light the color is brighter and much more saturated and it can look a little harsh. Also, it brings out the redness in my skin.
  • Seche Vite is a little miracle worker but even my favorite topcoat couldn't even out all the ridges.
CONCLUSION: If you aren't overly concerned with a perfect paintjob and/or change your polish frequently, this readily accessible, very reasonably priced drugstore option might appeal to you. However, if you're kind of obsessive like I am, you're going to get fed up looking at the uneven polish and wipe it off after 1.5 days. Personally, I'd stick with the better brands and pick this up only for nail art or to see if you like this kind of color.

SWATCHES (Note: ridges not that apparent in pictures)









No comments:

Post a Comment