Monday, July 9, 2012

Summer Beauty VoxBox 2012: Product Rundown

Hi chickadees!


I wanted to share with you the present I got in the mail a few days ago...my Summer Beauty VoxBox finally arrived! Yay! Invisible balloons and confetti! Anyway, I haven't had a chance to try any of these out yet but I wanted to share the products I received and take some pictures before I start testing. So far I'm really impressed with the quality of products you get in these free sampler programs. VoxBoxes and Target Beauty Bags are kind of kicking the arse of Birchbox (which is so bad I don't even feel like writing a post about it).
Full disclosure, VoxBox is a program you sign up for on Influenster.com. You can fill out different surveys and earn badges. If you qualify for whatever reason (I'm not sure what they're looking for, sorry!) they will send you a confirmation email and a few weeks later you'll receive your box in the mail. It's not a subscription program. But you are obligated to review the products on their website and on your blog or on your youtube channel, etc. Although I'm getting these products for free, I want to assert that my reviews and opinions are 100% truthful. I don't gain anything by praising products I don't like because I'd just be sent similar products that I also wouldn't like. I'm not being paid to write positive reviews.

I'll put more pictures in my full reviews of the products.



Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color: $9.99 (Color: 908 Graphite Gravity)
What the card says... NEW! Sally Hansen Magnetic Nail Color is summer's hottest nail trend that allows you to create a gorgeous nail art effect in just seconds! This unique formula was specially developed with metallic particles -just hold the built-in magnet over wet polish to reveal a unique design on the nail.
This is probably the product I'm the most excited about as long-time readers will know this blog is dominated by nail polish swatches. And like the girl who has a huge walk-in closet and laments she has nothing to wear, I have a decent-sized nail polish collection yet often find myself with bare nails. This polish might be just the thing I need. And unlike the fish egg manicure trend, this one seems more wearable, more practical, and easier to accomplish. Hopefully. When I grow out my nails a bit more I'll let you know.

LINK TO THE REVIEW (copy and paste into address bar): http://tinyurl.com/d8dvtnc

Tampax and Always Radiant Collection: prices vary per box
What the card says... Tampax and Always have come together to premiere the all-new, stylish Radiant Collection, a complete offering of premium tampons, pads, liners, and wipes that meets all of a woman's feminine care needs. With designer packaging and wrapper, these products are must-have accessories for that time of the month.

This is the most awkward-to-talk-about product in the box. To get a little personal here, my brand of choice is already Always. After years of trial and error, I've settled on the green maxi pads. I never have and likely never will use tampons. They are just not convenient for me and because of a strange inside joke, I will forever primarily associate them with the words "toxic shock syndrome". It seems like an odd product to repeatedly buy as a set as it comes with a purse, pad, 3 liners, and 2 tampons but it might be good as a present for a younger girl or just as a one time thing. It just seems like an odd decision to package these things together with a purse.


Quaker Soft Baked Bar in Banana Nut Bread: $3.29 for package of bars
What the card says... Made with real bananas and almonds, Quaker Soft Bars in Banana Nut Bread flavor have tasty ingredients to help provide fuel to start your day. 5g Fiber, 20% of daily value of 5 B Vitamins and 6g of protein!

I think this is the first time a company has sent me food so I'm excited about that. It sounds like something I'd like. I like bananas, almonds, banana nut bread, and Quaker oatmeal. But as much as they're talking about "fuel to start your day" this seems like more of dessert. One bar of 42g (smaller than my hand) is 140 Calories with a whopping 30 Calories from fat and 140mg of sodium.
Some of the primary ingredients are whole grain rolled oats, soy crisp rice (soy protein isolate), brown sugar, invert sugar, oligofructose, freeze dried bananas, dried pureed bananas, dried whole eggs, etc. So basically a lot of sugar, preservatives, and then added chemicals and vitamins.

LINK TO THE REVIEW (copy and paste into address bar): http://tinyurl.com/cw4f3eh
Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Lotion Suncreen SPF 30: $8.99 for 6oz bottle, Available in SPF 12, 30, and 50
What the card says...With its ultra-luxurious hydrating silk ribbons, Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration lotion sunscreen nourishes and pampers skin while providing broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection, and 12-hour moisturization when out in the sun.

This feels like more of a beachy product than an everyday sun protection product (which is my lifestyle). There's definitely a light tropical scent to it. Still, it's nice to get another sunscreen as I always apply sunscreen to my face and neck but usually forget about the rest of my body. I would probably stick to SPF 30 or even better SPF 50 as I don't think SPF 12-15 is very useful. On my face, I always use at least SPF 50 which is why I love La Roche Posay products.
Sally Hansen Nails and Cuticles Hand Creme: $5.99 for full size bottle
What the card says: Made with shea butter, the Sally Hansen Nails and Cuticles Creme softens hands, smooths cuticles and conditions nails. Active Moisture Complex formula with Ceramides helps to lock in nutrients so hands maintian their ideals moisture level. Offers 24 hour moisture and lasts through hand washings!
Well, it sounds great. I wouldn't say I'm a hand cream expert. I neglect my hands until they're so dry I run to my stash to find something to solve the problem. I've tried Burt's Bees, L'Occitane, eos, and Lush products. I'd have to say my clear favorite is L'Occitane except for the fact that it always washes away when you wash your hands. So if this performs and lasts through hand washings I will be very happy to have found a low cost drugstore alternative.

Clean Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy: $4.99-$5.99 for 12.7oz and 12.9oz bottles
What the card says... Did you know 99% of hair's natural strength comes from the scalp? Introducing CLEAR SCALP & HAIR BEAUTY THERAPY, a new line of shampoos and conditioners that nourish the scalp, and create the right foundation for strong, beautiful hair from root to tip. Wash your way to stronger hair in just 7 days.
I've been suffering from a dry, itchy scalp this year so I'm happy to have found this product in my box. I still haven't found a shampoo/conditioner that lives up to my beloved Garnier but I'll give this a shot.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment