Tuesday, January 24, 2012

REVIEW of Essie's Midnight Cami


This polish made me a little sad. I've had it in my stash for a while and I loved it in small doses. Here's a link to the post where I used it in a twist on a french manicure. http://smartandsarcasticwithdashesofinsanity.blogspot.com/2011/09/navy-tipped-french-manicure.html

However, as a stand-alone color, it let me down. I was immediately drawn to the color, not just because it looked like a gorgeous, creamy dark blue but because it promised shimmer. On my nails, it ended up being a rather ordinary dark blue with hidden shimmer. Actually, after about a day of wear it already looks quite dingy and it picks up smudges ridiculously easily. :( The good news is that unlike other dark blues this polish doesn't immediately go to black in dim or dark lighting. The formula was one of the great Essie formulas. Super smooth and easy to work with, it just glided over the nail. I just wish the shimmer were more apparent and it kept the shine it has while wet. With a layer of Seche Vite, it almost becomes matte, like there's a film over the regular polish. This doesn't happen with most nail polishes so I found it quite odd.

I did find a way to fix it. After an exhaustive search, I finally located Essie's "As Gold As It Gets" at my other local Duane Reade and snatched it up immediately. I love the way it looks over "Midnight Cami". It makes me think of constellations and speckled stones and jewels. I also happened to spot a lot of the new displays, including all the Maybelline Dream Bouncy Blushes, all the new L'Oreal nail polishes, most of the Revlon nail polishes (Who keeps taking Whimsical!?!), the L'Oreal magic lumi display, and the L'Oreal Infallible eyeshadows and Maybelline Eye Tattoo shadow displays though most of the good shades were gone. If you're curious, and you live in NY, this would be the Duane Reade at 459 Broadway.
 
OK, time for swatches!




Essie "As Gold As It Gets" over Essie "Midnight Cami"






No comments:

Post a Comment