Tuesday, March 11, 2014

REVIEW of Zoya Carter With SWATCHES

Hi peanuts,
Today I'll be reviewing Zoya Carter. I wish I could come up with something a little more exciting or enthusiastic but that it is the kind of bland opening that reflects my feelings about Zoya Carter, the latest Zoya Pixiedust polish that I'll be reviewing for you.

Color: Zoya Carter is a purple textured polish. It is a red-toned purple polish (that insists on photographing blue-toned) with purple/pink glitter. By that I don't mean that it contains both purple glitter and pink glitter but that under some lighting conditions it appears purple and under others it appears pink. The base purple color is darker than the glitter. It is clearly purple in natural light but indoors, especially at night it can look very dark. One of my biggest problems with the appearance of this polish without top coat is how flat it looks. It doesn't look that textured. It feels rough but it just looks like a flat glitter. It's rather ugly. I greatly prefer how this polish looks with top coat. It's still not my favorite polish with top coat but the purple is a lot more intense and vibrant and the glitter sparkles more.
Formula: The formula was thick.
Application: First, I should note that I used two coats of Elmer's glue as a base coat for this polish but as always, I don't think it played any role in application. The first coat of polish went on smoothly without any drag though the coverage wasn't even. The first coat was sheer, mainly depositing glitter and the purple pigment that was laid down was not evenly distributed. The second coat went on a little thick. I had to work to even it out and there was an issue at the tips of my nails. I usually don't wrap the tips of my nails with textured polishes because I don't want that grittiness there to possibly scratch my skin or clothes. But it was there anyway because this polish kind of refused to let go at the edge of the nail. It's hard to describe. Anyway, the polish was not opaque at two coats so I added a third. The third coat was similar to the second coat. The polish was thick, I had the same issues evening it out, and it behaved weirdly at the tips of my nails. At three coats the polish was opaque.
Wear: I wore this polish for six days, adding two layers of top coat for the last three days. I experienced some tip wear and growth but no major chipping or damage.

CONCLUSION: I would not recommend this polish enthusiastically. I think there are application issues and I personally don't love the way this looks. However, if you do like the way it looks (because this is a case where someone else could like this polish because they have different preferences and expectations) then I think the application is manageable enough to warrant getting this polish during a Zoya sale promotion.




SWATCHES 
These are more of my photo-editing masterpieces. None are completely color-accurate but this is the best I could do.
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Textured/No top coat
Shine/With top coat
Shine/With top coat
Shine/With top coat
Shine/With top coat
Shine/With top coat
I included these last photos so you could get a rough idea of the difference with and without top coat. My thumb is the only nail without top coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment