Sunday, November 4, 2012

REVIEW of O.P.I.'s Monsooner or Later with SWATCHES

Hi chickadees!

I'm not even going to lie or beat around the bush. I found O.P.I.'s Monsooner or Later incredibly frustrating. Frustrating to work with, frustrating to photograph. I'm happy to have another red for my collection but I'm sure you could find a better one.

Color: O.P.I.'s Monsooner or Later is a bright, tomato red creme polish. Did it photograph that way? No. It kept photographing orange. But if you go to the supermarket and pick up a bright red tomato, it's that color. It's pretty dupe-able but I have to say I liked the color. It's like a bright red lipstick. It just works. I won't go so far as to say it's a universal color but there's the right shade of red for every woman.
Formula: I found the formula thick and a little gloopy. This was very odd for me as it is an O.P.I. polish and usually they have great formulas or they're on the watery side but the formula was undeniably gloopy. The good news was the polish was very opaque. It was almost opaque in 2 coats but because it didn't hold up to the light test (where you hold your nails up to the light and see if you can see light passing through any bald patches) I did a third coat.
Application: As I said, the formula was thick, making application difficult. I found it very hard to get even coats but the problems were mostly fixed by Seche Vite. While application is a little tricky, I don't think you should be too upset with the final result. I should also note that this did come with a slightly wider brush which I'm personally not a fan of.
Wear: I wore this during part of the time we lost power in NYC due to Hurricane Sandy when I wasn't as conscious of my nails but I usually put them through the same amount of stress regardless. Anyway, my polish chipped a little on the pinky nail of my right hand. I note this because my polish almost NEVER chips. Also, I'd only been wearing the polish for a few days.

CONCLUSION: I certainly think you could find a dupe for this color and the formula and application aren't anything to rave about but if you see it in the store and it's on sale, you could do worse for a tomato red nail polish. Even with the problems, I liked having the color on my nails. It was bright and cheerful.
 
SWATCHES

This is the most color-accurate picture I could get. It's still a little less orange than this and more red.
Oh, and if you're wondering, I have my Marc Jacobs DOT inspired nail art on my ring finger. There's a tutorial up on this blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment