Monday, December 12, 2011

Look of the Day and Tips For Makeup/Clothes/Accessories on Hectic Days

My makeup is much simpler today, just some foundation to cover up dark circles and a touch of Benefit's Ooh La Lift above my cheekbones, with some Covergirl Natureluxe lipbalm on my lips. For the balm, I layered Peony over Marble for a slightly more natural look.

Why is everything so casual today? Because I had to run out of the house like a maniac to make it to class. On days like this, it's always good to have a plan ready. So here are my tips for days like this...

1. Know which parts of your makeup routine are essential

Sunscreen is essential. If you do nothing else, remember to apply sunscreen to your face, up to your hairline and down your neck to your decolletage. After this, it's up to you. You know your own skin, your features, and what you need to feel beautiful.
  • For me, I know I have terribly dry skin so I never skip moisturizer. I love my La Roche Posay products, because I can get a SPF 60 sunscreen and a great moisturizer in one.
  • I also don't get enough sleep so I need to use foundation on my dark circles. I opt for L'Oreal's liquid foundation. To me, it's much more natural that the concealers that I've tried and lasts throughout the day.
  • You want to keep a few essential lip products in your purse: a bright color, a nude color, and a moisturizing product. My purse always has these three things. Right now, it's Covergirl's Natureluxe glossbalm in Peony (red), Marble (sheer pink), and Aquaphor lipbalm.
2. Lay out your clothes the day before or keep your outfit simple.

Either plan your outfit ahead of time the night before if you know you're going to be rushed, or stock your closet with staples that don't require thought. I have a ton of simple dresses in basic silhouettes and neutral colors that I can just grab when I have ten other things to worry about. I know they fit and look good and they don't require me to coordinate with anything else.

3. Display your accessories so you can see everything and easily grab what you need.

It helps if you know what's in your closet and what accessories you own, but especially if you don't, it's important to have everything displayed so you can easily assess your things and make quick choices. Don't worry about buying adorable jewelry boxes if it's just going to hide your things. I keep a huge bag of scarves and sashes for my waistband in a bag near my closet where I can easily grab something to finish an outfit. My jewelry is splayed out on my shelf and my earrings and more delicate necklaces adorn one of those mannequin trees. I highly recommend getting one of these. Here are some cute examples from Forever21.


$12.80 Bird Accent Jewelry Stand
http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=acc_giftitem&ProductID=1000027745&VariantID=

$8.80 Polka Dot Mannequin Jewelry Stand
http://www.forever21.com/Product/Product.aspx?BR=f21&Category=acc_giftitem&ProductID=1002930322&VariantID=

I hope this helps you get ready on those days when you're in a rush. It's mainly about being prepared for the worst, so you don't end up panicking and leaving the house with your slippers on. :)

$15 earrings from CherryRoseDesigns


Around $30 necklace. I can't remember the name of the designer but it's pretty easily dupable. Get a metal backing, scrunch up some gold foil, add a pearl bead, and seal with resin. All the necessary materials should be at your local craft store.

Birthday gift

No comments:

Post a Comment