Friday, December 9, 2011

One Block Sample Sale Marathon (KAS, Splendid and Ella Moss, Yigal Azrouel,

The one sale I knew I wanted to attend was the KAS sale (now over). I have one of their summer dressed and I absolutely love it so I was definitely excited to check out their showroom. It was gorgeous. The place was still full of clothes after a week of sales (the sale started Monday) though most items were in size "small" so they did not fit well over my curves and without zippers. Linen tunics and shift dresses have their place but sometimes a girl needs zippers. I think I tried on half the showroom. All the fabrics were just so interesting and eye-catching and I was determined to find something that fit. For future reference, there was no fitting room, so you had to try things on in the showroom full of large windows looking into other buildings. Slightly awkward. Pricing was amazing. Sequined dresses for around $50 to $60. Bins full of linen tunics for $15 or $20. Everything was marked with color coded tags marking $60, $50, and $30, $25 pieces. I picked up a $50 sequined dress and a $25 patterned skirt.














After I realized 231 W. 39th Street was full of sample sales for the day, it began a series of trips to different floors to check out the merchandise. Sadly, the most interesting items were in offices and showrooms not selling anything at the moment. There was one very odd place called CASS selling clothes for ridiculously low prices ($6 skirts! $12 blazers!) but there was an odd smell floating about and the clothes looked a little worn down. Autumn Cashmere was incredibly disappointing. Prices were high and the merchandise was unremarkable or downright ugly. I stopped by 4-5 other places but there was nothing of note and the names escape me.


After a lunch break, I headed over to the Splendid and Ella Moss sale (now over). The sale ran from Thursday to Friday so the quality of the merchandise remaining was a little disappointing. It's not like I headed to a sale at the end of a week long run. Anyway, I found that most of the clothes were generic American Apparel styles. There was a lot of cotton. I found a few lace pieces (shorts and dresses) and a few black tunics but again, things were unremarkable and kind of ugly. The place was fully stocked and very busy, though. Prices were low but at some point reason seeps back into your sample sale rummaging brain and you realize you can get better quality at Forever21, H&M, and TJMaxx and you put the clothes back.


My last stop (exhausted at this point) was Yigal AzrouĆ«l (now over). Again, very disappointing. There were plenty of girls there obsessing over the clothes but I couldn't see one thing I would ever imagine wearing. It was mainly dresses and outerwear in depressingly drab colors and depressingly heavy fabrics. None of the styles seemed particularly interesting or flattering. The rest of the stock was jewel-toned gowns that again, did not seem particularly interesting in design or flattering. There were also some belts in boxes at the side. There was only a coat check, no bag check.


Side note: I was purging and reorganizing my closet today and I started thinking...would you like me to do some posts on the contents of my closet or some outfit-of-the-day posts? Let me know if you would be interested in that in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment