Monday, December 5, 2011

Physicians Formula Shimmer Strips Custom Eye Enhancing Shadow & Liner in Nude Eyes Palette Initial Thoughts and Swatches

Damn but that's a long title. Sorry about that. There are so many words on the packaging.

I picked this up today at CVS as an impulse buy. No sale. No extrabucks. I JUST WANTED IT. :) Well, technically there was a Physicians Formula sale but I don't use a lot of face makeup and I haven't had luck with some of their other products, but the promise of a nude palette to rival Urban Decay's practically famous Naked Palette was more than I could resist. I've been lusting after this ever since I first saw it on Musings of a Muse and Nouveau Cheap. And now...it...is...mine.

This is just going to be a post of initial thoughts about the formula, color, and packaging with some swatches since obviously I haven't tried the palette out yet.

Packaging: I think the packaging is really adorable. It's light pink overlaid with black lace and it just looks sweet and girly with a slight edge the way light pink and black lace operates in lingerie.
Front

Back

The palette is a little on the small side compared to the UD Naked Palette but then again it is 1/3 to 1/4 of the price depending on where you buy it and if there's a sale.
about 10 cm
 by 4.5 cm

OR

about 4 inches
by 1.75 inches
 Color: It's still early morning as I'm writing and taking pictures so I actually have fairly color accurate pictures for you.


As you can see, there are 9 colors in this palette and not a lot of variety compared with UD or even with some other Physicians Formula palettes.

I like that they included a Black though I'm already happy with my NYX single eyeshadow and MAC Carbon. It's good for people who might not have a huge eyeshadow collection.

I worry that these shades will not suit every skin tone despite their claims.

Initial Thoughts on Formula and Success of Product: I sort of did my swatches backwards, but you can figure it out from where the black is. On the whole, I think I like the formula of the first five shadows. They are very soft, smooth, silky, and buttery to swatch. There's a satin/shimmer finish on all the shadows, though it really wasn't noticeable in the swatch of the black I did. They're definitely not Urban Decay pigmented but they are decently pigmented for a drugstore product. Again, I wasn't super happy with the lighter shades. That might change after applying the shadows with a brush. They didn't seem chalky but they all seemed very similar and not as pigmented as the other shadows, like I was swatching a bunch of very similar highlighters.

Black (pinky): smoky black, not as pigmented or dark black as NYX single eyeshadow
Bronze (ring finger): metallic bronze color, dupeable but pretty
Champagne (middle finger): a true champagne, gold with a very slight touch of pink, metallic and shimmery
Taupe (pointer finger): This is difficult to describe. It's very similar to the bronze shade but noticeably different. It's a sort of taupe/purple bronze. Also metallic and shimmery.
Silver (thumb): silver :)

CLOSE UP

Next 4 shadows
I did them in the same order from the palette, starting from the pinky.
I really had to strain to see a difference between these colors.
Pink (pinky): a pink with a lot of white
Rose gold (ring finger)
Light yellow: very light, shimmery yellow
Silver: a silver with a lot of white

More packaging pictures

As to their claims...actually these colors are kind of boring and wetting eyeshadows doesn't mean you made eyeliners. Otherwise every eyeshadow palette could call itself a shadow and liner.

I like the shape of the brush but it is an especially rough foam applicator so I WILL NOT be using it around my sensitive eye area and I suggest that you don't either.

I was really hoping for smokier, darker colors. I would just save up to either buy the colors you want, or get the UD Naked Palette. I myself was not taken with the Naked Palette but I am intrigued by the UD Naked 2.

UPDATE: I tried out the palette and the pigmentation is just pathetic on the lighter colors and they're all fairly crumbly. It's going back to CVS tomorrow. It's really not worth it to buy a palette of nudes, beiges, and generic colors you don't love.
In case you're curious about the nail polish I'm wearing, it's from Milani and I'll be adding a review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment