Friday, October 19, 2012

REVIEW of O.P.I.'s You Callin' Me a Lyre? With SWATCHES

Hi chickadees!


Hrm. I'm conflicted about reviewing this polish. I was so in love with it for so long. I tried it out at the salon when it was first released only at salons and we instantly clicked. From then on I had a ritual of going to the salon and getting a OPI You Callin' Me a Lyre? manicure before big exams. But now that I've finally tried it for myself...? I have to say the first blush of romance has worn off. I don't know if I'm just tired of it or if it was never as good as I thought it was but I'm no longer so in love with the color and I definitely have issues with the formula. Let's discuss...

Color: I think my problem with this polish is that even though it sometimes photographs cool, this is a warm-toned sheer pink polish. It brings out the yellowness in my skin and just does bad things in any lighting. My skin either looks dull, sallow or oddly dark...as if my hands are dirty and not as if I've gotten a tan. In the first few coats it looks like your basic sheer polish but as you build it up, you can see that it really has a milky appearance. To me it's the sheer version of a jelly polish. I think for the right skintone, this could be a pretty, effortless, girly polish.
Formula: The formula itself was not too much of a problem. It's a sheer polish but it wasn't especially thick or watery. It was a bit difficult to even out but I'm not sure if that was a polish issue or an application issue.
Application: This polish definitely went on a little streaky at first. At 3 coats, it looked fine. It wasn't opaque but I could have left it if it hadn't looked patchy and if I hadn't seen some clear balding. So I ended up using 4 coats which I think gets it as opaque as you want a sheer/milky polish to get. This is one of those OPI polishes with the wide brush. I couldn't tell if it helped or was a hindrance in this case. I will say it was easier to use than the wide brushes I've used in the past but I still had issues. I managed to even things out more or less and with Seche Vite on top, I couldn't notice streaks or unevenness to the point that they bothered me. Really the thing I had the most trouble with was the color.

CONCLUSION: I can't really recommend this polish if you have a similar skintone to mine and I can't really recommend it based on the formula either. As much as I used to love it, I don't think I'll be repurchasing this.

SWATCHES












In case you're interested, this is my original post with swatches from a salon manicure with You Callin' Me a Lyre. http://smartandsarcasticwithdashesofinsanity.blogspot.com/2012/04/swatches-of-opis-you-callin-me-lyre.html

No comments:

Post a Comment