Friday, February 3, 2012

REVIEW of Rimmel London Glam'Eyes HD Palette in 2 English Oak


I bought this on a whim during a Rimmel London sale because I thought the packaging was very cute and I was intrigued by the pink in this palette and the green in the other palette I picked up which I haven't really been using. How could I when I'm always reaching for this palette? I think I've worn it five or six times now when I'm in a rush or not in the mood to experiment because I know it works. Instead of trying to make my new green L'Oreal Infallible shadow meld into a wearable look, I just pick this up and I'm ready to go.

Pros
  • shimmer
  • girly/feminine colors
  • blendable
  • good pigmentation
  • packaging
I happen to like shimmer more often that not in my eyeshadows and this palette does not disappoint. The lighter colors all have the prettiest shimmer to them without being too glittery or distracting. I can wear this to school or work without looking overdone. The colors (which you can see in the pictures) are a sort of light champagne which I use for the inner corner or all over the eye, a pretty medium pink color which I find very wearable on the outer half of the eye or in the crease, a light brown/tan shade I use for the outer half of the eye or the crease, and a dark brown that I basically always use for the crease. All the shades are very pretty and feminine and I think they'd work great for a Valentine's Day look. The colors are pretty blendable. The lightest color, the champagne, sometimes gives me a little bit of trouble but I just pack more shadow on to help facilitate blending. The shadows are very soft and powdery so they tend to blend easily. The pigmentation is good for a cheaper drugstore shadow. With primer, all the colors are pretty pigmented and I don't feel the need to keep dipping back into the pan to pick up more color. The packaging is also super adorable. I can't be the only one who was sucked in by how cute this looked in the display.

Cons

  • shimmer
  • colors will clash with blemishes
  • not great pigmentation
  • packaging
If you don't like shimmer, this probably isn't the product for you. If you have a lot of very red blemishes and don't cover them well the pink/red eyeshadow in this palette is going to clash with any redness and draw it out more because the eye is kind of stupid and looks for patterns. It'll make a connection between the red in the eyeshadow and the redness in your skin. The pigmentation is not as great as it could be. Without primer, the shadows aren't as pigmented and the dark brown and champagne colors definitely suffer. With primer, the shadows are pretty pigmented but the champagne is still a little stubborn. It's nothing unmanageable but it might annoy anyone who isn't a big fan of dealing with alright/mediocre drugstore quality shadows. The packaging, while cute, is also a hassle. Because the shadows are so soft, it is easy to make a mess. Also, as you make a dent in the shadows, it becomes harder and harder to avoid dipping into the other colors when you tap your brush into the tiny portion of the flag pattern that contains the shadow you want. This is why I'm a little annoyed that either the champagne or the pink wasn't the main color in the cross as the dark brown seems like the shade you would use the least since a smoky eye would muddle the lighter colors.

CONCLUSION: Overall, I like these shadows. They are really low priced and the colors are lovely and all work well together. I wish the champagne color could be a little more pigmented and the packaging hadn't sacrified convenience for adorableness but I would still recommend this palette.

The top row is without primer. The bottom row is with primer. I used Urban Decay primer potion original.




Used but more color accurate. I confined my use to one corner to get a better idea of how to navigate around the packaging and to see how quickly I would hit pan. This is after 5-6 uses.






Close up


(Brand new)


The lighting is a bit dim but I hope you can get an idea of how pretty and shimmery these shadows are. The difference between the colors is more pronounced during the day/in direct sunlight.


No comments:

Post a Comment