Thursday, February 23, 2012

Noir Jewelry Sample Sale Report February 2012


Nothing all that special to report. I forgot to grab my camera again this morning so I don't have any pictures, but it really wouldn't have made much of a difference. I think I made it there a little before 3pm. There were still lots of bins scattered around the showroom space but either the supplies had dwindled or there wasn't much to begin with. The adorable animal shaped crystal studded rings were displayed on a shelf. They were the large size rings so they were mainly going for around $85. I think at that size, they look a little tacky and also there was only one size of each so that wasn't much encouragement to spring for baubles of a questionable taste level. I saw a Lee the Bee but the band width was too small for my fingers and I could not find the Owl ring I wanted to try on. The claw design is kind of growing on me though. If I led a rock star, completely impractical kind of lifestyle I'd probably want a few.

There were still plenty of items for every price point from $15 to maybe $100 or more but I'm not sure if you'd want them. I would skip the belts...which look really cheap. There's a lot of jewelry that just seemed like trim, that is, the kind of rhinestone or chain lengths you could get at a fabric store or craft store. I think I spotted a bear ring and a snake ring in the bargain bins but I didn't like the design of either. I think the bear rings were size 5 or 6 and the snake rings were everywhere from 5-9. There were some very costume jewelry-ish necklaces that seemed fairly priced at around $25 to $30 until I remembered I could find the same things on the sidewalk, at Forever21, or at any of those blinged out stores full of shiny baubles that I do happen to know the locations of. Don't judge me. I was really tempted to get this deep purple crystal necklace with lighter purple stones surrounding each large crystal but again, it looked really cheap. If I was staging a production, sure, I'd pick it up to pair with a costume but for everyday...no. The earring bins were unremarkable. I barely looked at the feather earrings. There were a lot of metal cutouts. You know when you have a flat sheet of metal and you use a machine to cut out a design? There were plenty of necklaces and earrings in this fashion. But again, they looked cheap and seemed overpriced. I did end up getting a pair of these earrings but I'm not planning to wear them as earrings. They remind me of the original cover of The Great Gatsby and I'm going to remove the fish hook and string a ribbon through the hole to make it a necklace. They had an actual necklace but it was a bit too large, the length of the chain was wrong, and it seemed kind of defective and scratched. If I sound more critical than usual, it's because I've had a long day with very little sleep the night before.

Image Credit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gatsby_1925_jacket.gif

What drew me in the first time was how amazing all the prices were. This time around, I spotted the same dagger earrings I bought at the last sale in November for $10 http://smartandsarcasticwithdashesofinsanity.blogspot.com/2011/11/noir-jewelry-sample-sale-november-2011.html going for $30. Seriously? For last season's merchandise? It's not like it became any rarer.

The day wasn't a complete waste, though, as I did manage to find some beauty items I've been looking for in the area (I usually don't go uptown unless I have a specific reason).

Yup, that is Essie's Navigate Her, Orly's Gumdrop, and Revlon's Peach Parfait...three items I've been lusting after for a while. The full Essie spring collection is actually at the Duane Reade around the 34th Street subway station. I think it's probably like W 34th St and 8th Ave. They also seemed to have most, or at least a different selection of Revlon lip butters than the ones I've been finding. I picked up Peach Parfait though I still want to try out Creamsicle and Creme Brulee if this doesn't turn out to be a good fit. Beauty on 35 also has the Essie spring collection but I'm trying to rack up the count for that Duane Reade Essie Club. Instead, I managed to find Orly Gumdrop which I've been craving ever since seeing it on one of my favorite nail polish blogs, Spaz & Squee.

OK, that's all for today. I'm kind of exhausted. A nail polish review for Essie's Go Overboard is coming soon. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment